• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Forced Ripening...Green Pods

It's looking like my season maybe coming to a quick end here in the Pacific Northwest. I still have lots of green pods on the plants. I've heard that plants can be uprooted and hung upside down, and the pods will turn red. Is this true? Any advice?

i don't know about that, it depends on how far along the peppers are in there ripening stage.

many put ripening bananas, apples or tomatoes along the fruit, this encourages the ripening process by the release of ethylene gas, a natural ripening stimulate.

good luck

Pulling the whole plant and hanging upside down is a matter of convenience, a place to put them and being able to get them up quick on a night you hear that it's definitely going to hard frost. 

Doing so they will ripen no faster or slower than if you picked them and left them in the same environment, mainly meaning temperature.  In other words if you hang them in a cold barn or garage they won't ripen as fast.

Otherwise what BC wrote, it depends how mature the pods are already whether they will ripen before drying out or rotting, and it is common for people to put them in a paper bag (not plastic so excess moisture does not build up) with ripening fruit.

As long as the ripening process has started chemically, even if not visibly the pods will ripen. I suggest a brown paper bag with a strip(read: one side) of banana peal, low humidity environment, and temps below 76° to stave off softening while they color up. Don't worry about them getting to full ripe color such as blood red. When no green left they can be processed. I have seen up to 5 days worth of color change occur over a 6 month period while vacuum sealed and in the freezer.
As for the pulling... I hang a rope and will pull many of my plants before frost and hang them up side down outside next to the garden. Observations are that in ground + frost = soft mush pods the next day.... Hanging uncovered right next to the garden + frost = firm peppers that might as well have been in the crisper in my fridge. I don't know the full reason, but I believe it has to do with the trauma of the pull and how the plant reacts in term of cutting off the pods.

The observations were made after the same frost with all I could hang on the rope and others still in ground. I know frozen peppers get mushy when thawed due to the ice crystals breaking the cell walls(Sidenote: After being frozen they dehydrate quicker due to the broken cell walls), but the frost outside must affect the plant in a way to draw out water maybe to the roots and turn them to mush. Still looking into that.

Back