• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a Trinidad Douglah Red?

And, I'll be asking for a lot of forgiveness in the future.

But the real question, how can a Douglah be red? I saw this posted for a SASBE and have never seen such before. I thought the name Douglah suggested a brown color. Any insight would be welcome.

I can't keep up with all this stuff either. 7 Pots have only been widely known about for a few years, but every year there is a dozen new ones. As soon as there is a new one, someone else has it in red, yellow, brown, white, burgandy, peach, etc... Meanwhile, we all agree a variety is not considered stable until it has been grown out for 7+ generations. Although some are interesting, I'm just going to stick to the more basic ones that have grown true for me in the past, and ignore the rest...at least for now. :P

kind of like the black naga seeds i received recently, and the plant produced red pods. it happens. the red gene was dominant for whatever reason. it's science!

In my opinion, there have been far too many crosses and mutations being marketed lately. Of course it keeps things interesting but good Lord people they need to be stable first!!! :banghead:

***DISCLAIMER - This statement is not directed at any one strain, hybrid or person. Just an observation on my part. Carry on!***

Thanks for the replies. I should have realized it was an cross.

Geeme, yeah I'll be starting some seeds in the next week.

I am all for variety. It can get confusing, but it definitely keeps things interesting. I think there needs to be more truth in advertising. For instance... "these peppers looked like this when they grew last year, but I have only gotten these results once. Here are the seeds if you want to give it a shot..."

as opposed to

"This is the new worlds hottest pepper! It grew as a fluke when my plants got tied in a knot during that tornado last year! It is a Trinidad Jamacian Bahamian 7 pot pod goat scorpion moruga morouga naga morich bhut douglah jolokia! But, I call it Red Death! Chocolate versions will be available soon."

Back