• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Found in UK market

Can anyone help please?

I'm trying to identify the peppers at the back.... the seller was unsure.

As you will see, they are a little off-red, more towards orange. I thought they looked a little too pointy for Jalapenos.

Thanks!

faampl.jpg

I would say Jalapeno heat (or less). They are quite sweet, with a Carrot\Tomato element to the sweetness.

I doubt they are anything terribly rare, but seem different to the supermarket Jalapenos I have bought previously.

20tijxf.jpg

You say different from recent store bought jalapenos, How?
I get variations in heat with pods off the same plant. If it has rained or the plant have been watered recently they will not have the heat they are capable of. Let several hot dry days go by and the same plants pods will burn you and good.

As far as what you have, based on past conversations and the picture, I would go with ripe jalapeno. Jalapenos after turning red as with many types of peppers have a build up of natural sugars that give the pods an almost too sweet taste for some palettes. I prefer the common annuums in their green form for raw consumption. But when it come to making jams and/or sauces, both green and red have their place.

Thanks for the replies. At least I know now - they were not terribly expensive either....

Some of these are a lot bigger than the store-bought ones, and more pointy, and orange rather than red. I was inquisitive, as it's almost unheard of to find any unusual peppers in the stores round here - and the seller hadn't a clue!

The consensus here is that they are indeed Jalapenos - proof there is more knowledge here than at the sellers' place :-)

simon04 said:
Thanks for the replies. At least I know now - they were not terribly expensive either....

Some of these are a lot bigger than the store-bought ones, and more pointy, and orange rather than red. I was inquisitive, as it's almost unheard of to find any unusual peppers in the stores round here - and the seller hadn't a clue!

The consensus here is that they are indeed Jalapenos - proof there is more knowledge here than at the sellers' place :-)
Well, its a best guess anyway. wouldn't be able to positively ID without tasting. I am up for it if you are up to the swim.

Back