• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Freak Snow Storm in Denver

In the next couple of days in Denver (and across much of the western US) we've got a freak cold front coming in with snow and overnight temperatures in the 20s in the forecast.  My crop this season is a little bit behind where it should be and I haven't been able to harvest much yet, so I'm really not ready to let go of all of my outdoor plants.

I've got about 20 plants outdoors in raised beds.  Varieties include poblano, anaheim, big jim, jalapeno, thai dragon.  Given the forecast of ~2 inches of snow, and a low temp of about 28 (will be below freezing for at least 4 or 5 hours), would you:

1. Cover the plants with something
2. Dig some up, pot them, and move them inside
3. Do something else

If I cover them, I can build a frame over the whole bed and then cover them with moving blankets, and then plastic sheeting.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how cold it has to get before covering them is a lost cause, and therefore I'd be better to try to transplant, even if it is a shock to the plants.

Thanks, and appreciate any thoughts!

live42 said:
In the next couple of days in Denver (and across much of the western US) we've got a freak cold front coming in with snow and overnight temperatures in the 20s in the forecast.  My crop this season is a little bit behind where it should be and I haven't been able to harvest much yet, so I'm really not ready to let go of all of my outdoor plants.

I've got about 20 plants outdoors in raised beds.  Varieties include poblano, anaheim, big jim, jalapeno, thai dragon.  Given the forecast of ~2 inches of snow, and a low temp of about 28 (will be below freezing for at least 4 or 5 hours), would you:

1. Cover the plants with something
2. Dig some up, pot them, and move them inside
3. Do something else

If I cover them,
This>I can build a frame over the whole bed and then cover them with moving blankets, and then plastic sheeting.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how cold it has to get before covering them is a lost cause, and therefore I'd be better to try to transplant, even if it is a shock to the plants.

Thanks, and appreciate any thoughts!

I just unearthed my plants this afternoon and everything seems fine. I wrapped all of my pepper plants in towels and then covered them with a tarp. Some other nightshades I covered with plastic sheeting and they all came through fine. Looking at the flower beds it looks like everything survived minus a couple dahlias. 

Hope you had the same fortune.

Back