• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Freaky Wierd....

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I just went out to pick pods, and when I came to my aji habanero, I had to stop and just stare. The plant has a fairly large number of flies on it - all in various states of either paralysis or death. (Some have the expected coloration of a living fly, but others are a dull black. Not sure if the ones with color are paralyzed or have just more recently died.) Huh? I haven't found this on any other plant.

So is anyone else here growing aji habaneros, and are you having a similar experience? Or have you had a similar experience with any other variety? The temps here have dipped down into the 40's now, so my first thought was that maybe they just happened to be on this plant when it got too cold for them. (But then, what is "too cold" for a fly?) But again, they aren't on the other plants. So I'm wondering if there is something in this plant which is toxic to the flies, or possibly something the plant just generates late-season, as I don't recall seeing such a thing earlier. I am so puzzled by this..... and so weirded out by it!

Edit - Another kind of weird thing is that they are literally stuck to the plant - I've tried to brush them off, but they don't budge.

Back