free Free To A Good Home

I'm not sure if these are viable yet. I am going to test them out. But if they are, who wants seeds? Send me a SASBE and I will send you as many as you can handle.

8682378754_86f4810b25_b.jpg

A buddy of mine brought me a bag of dried pods that he bought from the grocery store today. I spent the day emptying the pods (and getting paid for it at work...hehehehe). I have some soaking now. I did some reading and found lots of people who had some success at growing seeds they harvested from dried pods they bought, so I have some optimism!

I planted some bhut seeds from a dried pod that a member here sent me, and they had a 90% germination rate. Couldn't hurt. Just trying to repay the favors. Here's apicture of the pods they came from. Judging by the color, they weren't oven dried. The only question left is whether they were genetically modified so that the seeds don't reproduce. Damn you Monsanto!

8681410127_f327198f05_b.jpg

Hmmmm..... I will have to try preserving my seeds that way. Thanks for the useful tip!

I got lazy last year when it was time to clean pods and save seeds so some of my envelopes just got dried peppers thrown in there. No problems germinating this year but they were naturally dried (pretty easy in the desert heh). Be aware lots of store bought dried peppers have been dried in an oven and at possible seed killing temps. That wouldn't stop me from trying though. :P

EDIT: Well you covered my post as I was typing it. They're a nice color (i.e. not brown) so the seeds will probably be fine.

I want to try to grow some before I send any out. I don't want to send out a bunch of duds. Give me a couple of weeks. They may not be ready for this season, but hey.... plant them late, overwinter them, and get a bumper crop next year! I'll keep you guys updated! Send me a PM if you don't give a damn and want to try anyway!

lol.....after my buddy gave me the bag, he came out of his office and saw me deseeding them and asked "YTF are you doing that?????". Dude...... you just wouldn't understand!

We have a Monsanto plant 20 minutes from where I work. The plant I work at makes chicken steroids that has made all of your teenage daughters look 10 years older than when we were in school

Well I don't have any daughters (or sons) and I live almost exclusively on vegetables and hot dogs so I'm okay with the chicken steroids.

I have seedlings right now from dried chili de arbol pods that came from the grocery store.
Also, I have seedlings from dried store pods of Japones and Pequins too :)

just sow a bunch of them, germination wasn't super high rates, but it was pretty good! Maybe 50% or better...
If you sow way more than you need, and more germ than you need, you can always just thin them out :)

Nice find Phil.
Watching this thread haha. I have a huge bag of dried Anchos we are going to use to make tamales. I'll be doing the same with those soon and offering up a bunch.

It is hard to say if they will or not.  Depends on how they were dried.  If there was heat involved it could have killed them.

So if i go to the store and find any that say they are sun or air dried its possible that the seed i find in them could sprout? just as long as they arent oven dried?

Back