• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Freeze dried vs. dehydrated

Friend gave me a can of freeze dried bell slices from Sams club.  Didn't expect much other than the normal rehydrated mush.  Oh wow, they had almost the same texture as fresh.  So looked into freeze drying machines, about $2,500.00 entry level.  Anyone know of anything cheaper?  That just doesnt seem in the kitchen appliance range of expenses.  But wow, having what tastes and feels fresh in the middle of the winter would be great.

They are the first company to make home appliance type versions. They have commercials on TV. You won't find cheaper, you have to consider it more along the lines of a washer/dryer or range type price point. But perhaps if others jump on board, the price will go down. Otherwise, that's your choice.

what karoo said!  severe appliance envy here!

In thinking of using the freeze dryer as opposed ot the ghetto dehydrator for peppers...the freeze dry can only do a few pounds at a time, it would take wayyyyy to long to process 80 pounds of jalapenos.  Dehydration works fine for how I use the peppers, and being able to dry 40# or more at a go is what I have to look at.  

For a long term investment to do a lot of preservation of a home garden/orchard, etc....yea...I could see that....

A good dehydrator with extra trays is ~300.  And then when you burn out the motor like I did when drying a buttload of frozen peppers that released all their moisture down into the fan housing....add another $100 for a replacement.....:rolleyes:   :lol:

Hmmm, they do have a large capacity unit-
12-16 pounds of fresh food will fit in our large freeze dryer. That amount of food will typically fill 3.5 gallons (3.5 #10 cans) of food per batch. It is not uncommon for customers to freeze dry 2,200 lbs. of fresh food in just 1 year.

OK ...just came up with the ultimate reason/excuse why I could get one of these.....

I need to make easy-prep meals for my Dad!  With some significant dementia to deal with, and he's still living on his own....freeze dried meals~~~ just sayin!!! 

but the large unit only comes in 2 colors!!! :mope:
frz dryers.PNG

I know......suck it up, buttercup....

this is a very cool appliance that I am seriously lusting for.....  With the fall pepper harvest looming, and the daunting task of preserving a couple hundred pounds of peppers....

and the serious item of making dinners for Dad....

My Mother's day gift was a Cordless HoleSaw.  I think I can finagle some kind of justification for one of these... :lol:

Salsalady, on easy meals for dad: Had the same struggle with mom.  Bought a small deep freeze for the first floor, stocked it with TV dinners and fast microwave foods.  It made things much better cause I couldn't stand long enough to cook anything.  Thing is, it would probably be cheaper to buy freeze dried meals if that is what you are looking for.

Found something weird about Mountain House.  If you buy that brand threw Walmart online and have it delivered for free to a local store, you can wind up paying sometimes half what Mountain House wants.  No idea how or why it works that way.

Great suggestions, thanks for sharing.

This is a little late to this topic but I wasnt on the forum when it was current. We bought the large Harvest Right freeze dryer in stainless steel. We got it late last season(September), and used it to freeze dry most of what was left of our garden crop including peppers, onions, califlower, cantaloupe, tomatoes, etc.(and the fun stuff like ice cream bars, etc). Once the food is freeze dryed and sealed in mylar bags or vacuum sealed in glass jars its supposed to be good for 20 to 25 years. What I thought was really cool about it was the fact that my peppers lost very little in shape or color, unlike when I dehydrate them. I think it may make for some very vibrant colored pepper flakes or powder.
6CDC1DD9-91AA-4E12-8C55-8D5DCF311479.jpeg

There are some things a person can do to help preserve color while dehydrating, but those do look extra nice.  Never thought about the presentation value of freeze drying in products. 

Back