• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Freezing fresh pepper pods prior to mash / sauce - detrimental to constitution?

So my GF and I got into an argument today about me busting off 4 mashes in one weekend. She hates peppers. I know, I know... but I choose to stay.

She suggested that instead of monopolizing the entire weekend dealing with the booty I just scored at the store in regards to habaneros and other chile peppers... that I simply clean and freeze them until I have other free time during the week to process them into a mash.

Now... I've frozen foods before that taste like crap after they thaw. Cheese, for example, doesn't retain it's cheesy goodness after thawing.

Gets me wondering two things:

If I don't have time to mash it for ferment... if I just de-stem the pepper pods and toss them into the food processor for 10 seconds, then dump that into a freezer bag and into the chest freezer... what happens to the constitution of the pepper upon thaw? Does it break down the pepper into a watery pulp that isn't ideal?

What about just tossing the pods directly into a vacuum sealer and then straight into the chest freezer? Same result? Better?

I didn't have an answer for her, so I was automatically wrong. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty much automatically wrong in every argument. It's an uphill battle!

It would be easier for me if I could simply vacuum seal the course chopped peppers, because then I could shop to my heart's delight and have peppers to mess with anytime.

What's a fella to do?

the pulp is going to be moosh when it's done with the fermentation anyway, can't see why frozen pulp wouldn't work for fermentation other than the live bacterias (bacteriums? bacterii? ??? ) that would normally be present on fresh pulp might get killed during freezing. So when you go to start your fermentation with the frozen pods/pulp, you might need other starter like whey, kefir, fresh juice from fresh kimchee or kraut...or a reasonable amount of fresh pods to add to the frozen pulp, to get the stuff bubbling.

Just guessing here.....

edit- deleted the whole "what's a fella to do" in regards to the GF response.....that was left wayyyy too open! :lol:

"Id be all like missy you go in the kitchen and fix me some pie! if i wanna ferment peppers im gonna ferment peppers dont sass me!" i wouldent freeze em do it right or not at all, cant you just refrigerate em till you get time in the week to do em, unless there is no space for it, thats the way i would go, then bring her flowers or what ever and get to makin sauce,,

bacterias (bacteriums? bacterii? ??? )

Bacteria is actually the plural. Bacterium is the singular version.

To OP: ime, freezing pods will not make a big difference if you are turning them into sauce - as long as they don't get freezer burn (which may nasty up the flavor). The pepper flesh will get more mushy when it thaws out since the cell walls burst upon freezing, but since you will be blending the heck out of the peppers anyway, the difference is minimal, if perceptible at all.

Bacteria is actually the plural. Bacterium is the singular version.

Thanks, FC. I knew I didn't post it right but the idea was there.

All I know is 1 hippopotomi cannot get on a bus,
because 1 hippopotomi are 2 hippipotomus.
A pair of mouse is mice.
A pair of moose is meese.
What's the plural of Ox? .... OXEN
What's the plural of box?............BOXEN!!!!!
They drank 2 boxen of wine at the party!!!!

:cool: just having a little fun~

Don't get sassy, LDHS! I knew it wasn't correct, just too tired to "research" it. :P

BTW, did it ever occur to you that the plural of half...is whole?

I love that bit - forget which comedian that was..."boxen" had me rolling. Hysterical! :rofl:

Found it - Brian Regan. Saw him at Cobbs in SF

http://youtu.be/yxenUzZPFiQ

Back