• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Freezing Habaneros

Is it possible to freeze Habaneros, in order to save for use later? If so, how to I go about it (i.e. any concerns about freezer burn, or can I just stick them in a zip lock bag)?

thanx,
-=john=-

If you're not going to use them any time soon, just dry them out, same flavor and heat, and massively extended shelf life. If you are going to stick them in the freezer, make sure to put their little coats on.

DEFCON Creator said:
If you are going to stick them in the freezer, make sure to put their little coats on.
:lol:

Probably for just a few weeks. I can only get them locally at one place, and i'm afraid they won't have them when I need them, so I thought I'd keep an emergency stash in the freezer.

I thought about drying, but didn't know how to do that either :!: Seem's I really only know how to eat them.

BTW, welcome back.

-=john=-

Thanks Huvason, we had a blast.
As for drying out vegetables, see the above link. There are numerous sites to visit regarding this. It's not difficult, just make sure to follow the directions. All we use is dried for our stuff. It's a lot easier to work with.

Thanx Dan. Tsat's sounds easy - I think even I can do that! I like the part about stringing them. It would look cool that way.

-=john=-

Thanks Creator as well. I had heard from a few people that using dried is easier. I was going to look into this as well. I like the idea of dried better anyway. That way the wife won't yell at me for using up the doenstair's freezer.

Although - I could use a dehydrator! Maybe it's time for a new toy!

When's the next DEFCON day? Any plans yet. The wife still promises I can go, and she's coming (can you say designated driver). Beer's on me.

-=john=-

Actually, we are looking at April fools Day (April 1st) at the same place in Berkeley Heights (The Alley). It's not definite yet, but we're working on it.

Just called the wife.....

NO TWIRLING THAT DAY :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

(although I do have a project rollout fora client the night before, all night, but that won't effect this).

Let's hope for the 1st then!

-=john=-

I find the best way to dry peppers is slice them in half and stick them in a hot car for about a week. When ever I dry them whole, I lose about 50% of them to mold.

I've got all sorts of comments about drying peppers in reserve.

As for freezing.. For a short period of time, ziplock baggie the little beauties and go for it.

T

Back