• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Freezing peppers

I read another thread and asked this on there but it's an older one and I got no response and I need to freeze now due to peppers getting soft. I have a few questions.

Do holes need to be cut in the pepper and what does that do? Also I was wondering if it's best to freeze in ziplocks or just on a plate, then put in bags?

air tight ziplocks are better.

trying to keep them "fresh" and crunchy will always be a problem, but if you're going to use them for cooking or in sauces, then you won't have a problem. I've heard that halving them or cutting off the stem works best to eliminate some of the sogginess but it's inevitable that they'll have a different texture once thawed out.

what are you're planned uses for them?

Just cooking probably. Just that my dehydrator hasn't arrived and tons have been ripening everyday and those have already been in the fridge a while.

I've frozen pods for years. Never have put holes in em. I do recommend those grocery store vaccuum bags that you can deflate/get excess air out of the bag with a hand pump. If yoy don't have a real vac sealer that is.

I have about 40 frozen Habs and Bonnets in my freezer. I use the Glad freezer burn proof bags, and so far no flavor has been lost. I use them for cooking, so bye bye crispy crunch!

I use those plastic Glad containers to freeze peppers in and I like them. I can get in and out of them fast. If I see any moisture on the inside the lid I can wipe off with a paper towel before I close it up and put it back in the freezer. Myself, I don't poke any holes in the peppers.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back