• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Freezing Peppers

This year I decided to freeze a few of my peppers. I'm not sure what I will do with them so I am open for suggestions. In this bag is orange habs, cayennes, black pearls and of course some jalapenos. I know I can use then in making chilli and such but I am wondering of other things to do with them. When they thaw they get a little mushy.
28rnluq.jpg

never made poppers, I suppose I should one day

yep - make powder. or, why not blend them all together, add some salt and a little vinegar and put them in the fridge and spoon them over your food at will!

I might also add that you should toss the jals away but I know they are seen as a kind of sacred cow here. I think once they are thawed they will be awful.

chilliman64 said:
never made poppers, I suppose I should one day

I might also add that you should toss the jals away but I know they are seen as a kind of sacred cow here. I think once they are thawed they will be awful.

Nah, they'll all be fine as long as you use them to cook with. They get a bit, ummm, 'flaccid' when you thaw them. I freeze peppers all the time, and they're fine when i thaw them and use them.

I freeze a bunch as well and they'll keep for years that way. Great to cook with - I just give them a quick rinse with water and then chop up while still frozen. If you wait to thaw and then chop, they are too mushy.

Well i`ve also been drying and converting to powders.Also been making and canning boat loads of homemade salsa with various peppers.All kinds of options for you.

chilliman64 said:
I have to have some jals coz nobody else in my family appreciates the more nuclear varieties as I do. Besides, I really like to make poppers with jals. In fact I got some "jumbo" jal seeds for next year that will be exclusively for popper popping fun

I've always frozen surplus pods and have no problem with them generally. they still make excellent powder, sauces and mash as well as still being ok to chop up and put into/on food. I was more referring to the thick walled jal-type pods turning to mush upon thawing.

chilliman64 said:
I've always frozen surplus pods and have no problem with them generally. they still make excellent powder, sauces and mash as well as still being ok to chop up and put into/on food. I was more referring to the thick walled jal-type pods turning to mush upon thawing.

I agree completely.

BrianS said:
Wont they get mushy when you try to dry them?

pods get mushy when they thaw out, if drying them it doesnt matter, but one must ask yourself - why didnt you just dry them in the 1st place then ?
like everyone else said, frozen pods are good for anything except using fresh where you want some kind of crispness to the pods.

They are WAY better if you vacuum seal them first- they last longer that way, too. Every kitchen ought have a good vacuum sealer in it. Also, you can cut down on the flaccidity (yay, new word, I looked it up!) if you don't overpack the bag- the faster they freeze, the firmer they will be, and the less the frost crystals will damage them. I first place them on a stainless steel rack so they are not touching each other, then place the rack in the freezer for a few hours. After that, arrange them in a vacuum bag so they are one layer, vacuum, and throw them back in the freezer. You want to do this in a hot hurry so that they don't thaw out! This method will work with any veggies.

I think I learned this on that Alton Brown show.

Hinky said:
They are WAY better if you vacuum seal them first- they last longer that way, too. Every kitchen ought have a good vacuum sealer in it. Also, you can cut down on the flaccidity (yay, new word, I looked it up!) if you don't overpack the bag- the faster they freeze, the firmer they will be, and the less the frost crystals will damage them. I first place them on a stainless steel rack so they are not touching each other, then place the rack in the freezer for a few hours. After that, arrange them in a vacuum bag so they are one layer, vacuum, and throw them back in the freezer. You want to do this in a hot hurry so that they don't thaw out! This method will work with any veggies.

I think I learned this on that Alton Brown show.

I've never used a bag for them ever. I just make sure they're washed good before freezing and after thawing(or before usage). But then again, i do want a vacuum sealer badly, so i may start then.

They are nice (vacuum sealers) but a pain in the @ss too. Mine is anyway. I always freeze a gallon bag or two of my peppers to use in cooking throughout the winter. Kind of a variety pack. I find that they slice really nicely when frozen as I did tonight for chili. I usually end up making a sauce or salsa out of whatever is left in the Spring.

Back