• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking FRESH FISH

Had a local fishermen friend Big Mike drop off some beautiful salmon and trout fillets from a recent fishing trip. Asked me to cure and smoke for him.
Here they are in salt and sugar cure waiting for Friday to smoke.
IMG_20150817_193239.jpg
IMG_20150817_193330.jpg
IMG_20150817_193410.jpg
IMG_20150818_145242.jpg
IMG_20150818_150504.jpg
IMG_20150818_145445.jpg
IMG_20150818_150948.jpg

In bed and resting till Friday!!

hogleg said:
Yesssssssss!! You rock Salty, I'm watching this one too. Where are those fish from?
My buddy caught them in NY some were. Have to ask when he stops by. Beautiful fish though. :)
The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah.

Alder?
Yes I've used Adler before boss these will get cherry to start then pecan to finish. Will post my cure mix and process. :)
tctenten said:
OS can you give detailed instructions on this.  I would like to try it as well.  Thanks.
No worries!!! Got ya covered my friend. Will post the whole shooting match!!!! :)

I use a liquid brine as well. Along with kosher salt, I add sugar, garlic powder, lemon juice, and Old Bay. After brining overnight, I let the fish air dry then use a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and brown sugar. I smoke using hickory coals and small pieces of apple soaked in water. If I can keep the heat down really low it takes about 7 hours.

SMOKED AND CURED: Salmon and trout.

While there are many great cures from wet to dry with tons of different ingredients. I've used this many times it's very basic but gives the fish a great flavor doesn't mask the delicate flavor of the fish. And my buddies love it. I will also be spritzing with some pineapple juice and honey during smoking. Will post procedure as I progress. :)

Cure: 1 cup kosher or sea salt course.
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar dark. I used a combination of store bought and Mexican brown sugar. 1/2 x 1/2
2 tsp course black pepper
Mix well.

After fish has been processed wash with cool water and pat dry. Then place foil on counter as photos show. Place an equal size piece of plastic wrap over foil.
Liberally spread cure on plastic wrap and lay fillet skin side down on cure. Next apply cure to flesh. Make sure to cover it well.
Next apply cure to second fillet flesh side and place fillet on top like fish is back together. :) then apply remaining cure to skin side.
Pull bottom plastic wrap up making sure cure stay with it wrap as much as possible then cover top of fillets with another piece of plastic wrap completely sealing. Fold bottom foil up and cover top with foil tightly securing fillets inside. Place on tray then covered with cookie sheet and and weight it down. Place in fridge for 24/48 hours.

Remove fillets and lightly rinse under cool water to remove any excess salt or cure.
Allow to dry by placing on rack and I put fan on them let dry 1 to 2 hours until the flesh feels tacky. This is very important for getting good smoke retention and help retain fat.

Time to smokem!!! :) Will continue later! :)

muskymojo said:
Nice looking fillets!
I've always done a liquid brine, but have been wanting to try this method.
Hey muskymojo I have done a liquid brine but I find I get a better control over flavor this way. I've used juniper berries and dill,garlic etc usually depends on the season. This one is very basic but most of my fishing buddies like this one. The mop spray with the pineapple and honey is really nice. I also do a light rub before smoking. But very lightly. Really makes a nice finished product.
kentishman said:
I use a liquid brine as well. Along with kosher salt, I add sugar, garlic powder, lemon juice, and Old Bay. After brining overnight, I let the fish air dry then use a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and brown sugar. I smoke using hickory coals and small pieces of apple soaked in water. If I can keep the heat down really low it takes about 7 hours.
I do my smoking in stages from 120 to start up to 150/60 progressively that way I retain all that good fat.

Pineapple and honey you really like your sweet Q. :D

I could see that nicely in a few candied pieces but personally like smoked fish savory and let the fish and smoke shine without any sweet or spice. Then make a nice dip for crackers or put on a bagel. Or just eat by itself so good! I could see the sweet going well too but do you sweeten it all up?

The Hot Pepper said:

I could see that nicely in a few candied pieces but personally like smoked fish savory and let the fish and smoke shine without any sweet or spice. Then make a nice dip for crackers or put on a bagel. Or just eat by itself so good! I could see the sweet going well too but do you sweeten it all up?

Why so bitter?   :D

The Hot Pepper said:

Nope and I hear ya boss!!! :) I usually do a savory and a sweet but these are for my friends and i made this for presents for a few of these guy's, loved the sweet. But this style dry brine I very passive. Does not overwhelm the fish and it's not mopped like BBQ. Very light the rub I'll apply tomorrow will be more savory to balance the sweet. It seems like candy but after the rub and smoke you get a great piece of salmon.
Very well balanced. Great on bagels or just on a cracker or just as is does not mask the salmon flavor.
hogleg said:
Why so bitter?   :D
Hahaha hahaha you so crazy!! :)
The Hot Pepper said:
Because I don't like sweet.
  I dig BOSS!!!

:lol:

Yeah. And I forgot that was a salt/sugar cane dry cure too lol. I like sweet, I've had it! Akin to teriyaki salmon. 

Back