• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fresh Peppers vs Pepper Mash

Hey Everyone!

Not sure if this should go here or on the business side of the forum. I also figured this has been discussed before but i could not find it as I am on my phone.

I was curious what your thoughts on using pepper mash. Currently I am making test batches using the local stores peppers. I usually take all that they have in stock and it was easy during the summer. I know as it gets colder it will be harder to find the peppers I need. Also as I ramp up my production levels to have bigger batch sizes I will need more and more peppers with my pepper to vineager ratio as it is.

Also what is your opinion on how much mash va fresh peppers. As an example if I am using 1.4 pounds of a fresh pepper how much pepper mash would that be. I know all pepper mash has some salt already. The company i am looking st buying mash from did not know. I know i can create test batches to test this theory but thought i would tryband see if someone has already calculated this and save time.

Thank you!

Mash = consistency all year long. You go to McDondald's in Japan and the Big Mac tastes the same. Saucemakers use mash for consisteny and availability. If using fresh, some pods may not be available, ripe, etc. But for small batch this is not an issue. Really it's all up to you!

That is what I have heard and that is my plan moving forward. Do you have an idea of the amount of pepper mash needed vs fresh peppers. Is it 1 for 1 or a different fraction to get me started. I have ramped up my recipe for increasing in the amounts from 1/2 cup of sauce to what I need for 5-10 gallons and still have the same consistency. Also would you know if I have my sauce tested by the fda for using fresh peppers do I now need it for using pepper mash?

The mash mfg should give you the % Salt either by weight or by volume. If they don't, look elsewhere. Knowing the percentage is critical for sauce makers. I have seen percentages vary from 2-3% up to 10-12%.

Most people use private labs or university food science programs for pH and process approvals. If the testing is already done, talk to them to see if they would require retesting. My thought would be No. Fresh and frozen peppers can be used interchangeably as long as it is all by weight. This comes back to the mash. If you know the percentage salt, the recipe can be figured out.

You should be able to order cases of peppers from your local store. Just talk to the produce people. Obviously they will be more expensive in the winter. It is not too late in the season yet. Maybe look at buying a few cases right now, then wash trim (chop?) And freeze the peppers for use over the winter.

Good luck and have fun.
SL

Salsalady

Thanks for the reply!  In looking at the paperwork Magic Plant sent me (Magic Plant is who I am currently talking with about Mash) theirs varies for salt content.

For the 55 gallon Drum for Orange Habaneros their salt content is 12-15%salt+3%acetic acid (drum/450lbs).  Their smaller containers It does not mention the ratio.  I am assuming it would be similar.  

I am hoping to send these off next week to be tested.  

I have spoken to the local stores but so far no luck.  I need to get a hold of a store manager.

SmokenFire,

I have actually spoken to Endorphin Farms as well about co packing.  I did not realize they send out mash as well.  I am trying to figure out copacker vs certified kitchen.  I am not sure if my way is unique to cooking or not the recipe or if it will scale up with a co packer very well.

I will need to check them out. Thank you!

I am trying to find an inspector. A friend of mine that has a catering business said I could use his kitchen and that there is someone he uses down in Florida that can do the inspections and get me the letter. He did say that he gave him his recipes bc he also helps out with formulation and cookin temps. After a signed NDA of course.

You don't need to do this homework, you pay a co-packer for this, and they have sources. Endorphin Farms, Patter Fam, and Bondine's are names that are experienced in hot sauce.

The Hot Pepper,

Yes if I was going that route they should be able to answer all of theee questions. I believe starting out I will be using a certified kitchen and making the sauce myself until i get enough orders in that i can either open my own place or then use a copacker.

Read the link I posted. It and other posts in the Making Hotsauce forum talk about all this.

The person who licences you to food process is usually not the same person who approved your recipes.

Go back to basics. Start by calling your local Heath department and ask them who is in charge of inspecting and licensing food processors in your local jurisdiction.

SL

Hey Salsalady

I am, thank you. Originally I was curious about peoples thoughts on fresh peppers can pepper mash and what the ratio would be, since i could not find it. I believe then we went down a rabbit hole or two.

Thank you for your input!

Yes, well, that does happen around here. Not that I am ever to blame for something like that.

Old joke... Never mind...

Sheesh!! ,:Lol:

The answer is 1:1 minus the salt weight.

But how much fun was it getting the rest of the information???
Anyways, all the best and hope this helps.
SL

Fresh peppers to frozen peppers are 1:1. Fresh peppers to "mash" are 1:1 minus salt or vinegar weight.

Loads of fun . All great information that I am still com in through. I have a meeting tomorrow with my friends certified kitchen and he is going to walk me through his process. I will then be contacting the certification and inspector person.

One last question if I buy a 5 gallon bucket of peppers that have 10-12% salt. I am assuming with my math abaility that I just substrate out 10-12 % from th total weight. Essentially I will need 12% more pepper mash vs fresh peppers.

Yep.

If the tare weight of the bucket of peppers is (5 gal x 8 pounds x 16 oz= )
640 ounces X 15% = 96 ounces.

Back