Fresh pods at farmers markets

Hi guys

This season I've grown a bit too many peppers than I expected and am now thinking of heading off to the local farmers markets.

I have been trying to work out what would be reasonable pricing and how is it best to sell them. Here are a few ideas I had, if anyone else has any suggestions, please yell out.

Our local supermarket prices for cayennes (pretty much all I've seen locally) are about $50NZD per kilo (2.2lb). I figured if I charged $100NZD per kilo (although I'll write up labels $10 per 100gm (3.5oz)) it might be ok.

I'm looking at selling 4 (maybe 5) varieties of which I have quite a lot of:
- Reapers
- Dorset Naga
- Aji Verde (from Judy, man these are massive plants with huge pods)
- Inca berry
- Devil's brain (possibly, it's looking like there could be quote a lot of pods)

I was going to just have them presented in 5 boxes ready for people to pick themselves, I have a bunch of paper bags ready, we weigh them and pay by weight. Does anyone know of a better way? I thought of pre-packing small bags with clear windows, but I figured most customers would want to try a bunch of different ones.

Is it just me or does it seem pretty cheap for superhots? I'm trying to look at it from both ways - as a grower I know that it definitely isnt cheap, since I'm only growing them as a hobby and am not buying all my supplies in bulk, etc. But as a customer who probably hasnt seen anything of chinense variety and probably won't know the difference until they taste it - they might think its a rip off.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.

A kilo of reapers for $100 is quite cheap so I think you need to raise your prices if anything. Although if they have never heard of it they would indeed think that it was a rip off. It you tell them that they are the worlds hottest then they will probably ease up a bit.

Yeah mate I thought maybe prepacked bags won't be so bad. I have done a count up of how many peppers I have, will also have some Defcon 7s, yellow fataliis, etc. So might make just mixed bags of superhots and mixed bags of med/hot ones. If it's not by weight might go down easier I reckon.

sooo let's see, google says kilo ~ 2.2 lbs (1000g) and 100 kiwi = $66 usd.  sooo lets say the average reaper weighs 7 grams. = ~ 142 pods per kilo that's $0.70 kiwi per pod. I'd say that's really cheap. Especially since your average customer at a farmers market is going to be more interested in typical heat peppers like jalapenos and habaneros and only the extremly rare individual will go for a super hot. 

I'd look at maybe supplying more common peppers in bulk and doing the suppers by the pod for like $1-2 each but I have zero farmers market experience. Just going off what others have discussed on the matter here. Maybe the average kiwi is more adventurous then us fat yanks. 

aji verde may sell well though. Maybe come up with a way people can taste test them in a safe milder manor like make a batch of salsa out of each and have little tasting station. 

Worse case you can take the pods at the end of the day that don't sell and dehydrate them and make powders to sell. 

D3monic said:
sooo let's see, google says kilo ~ 2.2 lbs (1000g) and 100 kiwi = $66 usd.  sooo lets say the average reaper weighs 7 grams. = ~ 142 pods per kilo that's $0.70 kiwi per pod. I'd say that's really cheap. Especially since your average customer at a farmers market is going to be more interested in typical heat peppers like jalapenos and habaneros and only the extremly rare individual will go for a super hot. 

I'd look at maybe supplying more common peppers in bulk and doing the suppers by the pod for like $1-2 each but I have zero farmers market experience. Just going off what others have discussed on the matter here. Maybe the average kiwi is more adventurous then us fat yanks. 

aji verde may sell well though. Maybe come up with a way people can taste test them in a safe milder manor like make a batch of salsa out of each and have little tasting station. 

Worse case you can take the pods at the end of the day that don't sell and dehydrate them and make powders to sell. 
Thanks mate, great advice there. 

My wife and I will make a couple of salsa mixes of different heat to get people to try it. Plus we will still have a couple chopped up for anyone brave to try small raw bits. Plus a bit of extra commotion which is inevitable will no doubt attract a few extra people.

And yeah I think you're right - any excess we'll dry, or since the markets finish after lunch, we can take the rest home and make sauces with it in the afternoon so nothing goes to waste.

Thanks!

Back