Fresh Wasabi Root

I've been searching for fresh wasabi root. Well, I finally found some.....it is $100.00 a LB. WOW lol. Crazy stuff. I'm going to get some tomorrow. I want to make fresh wasabi hot sauce. I will keep you all informed as to how it turns out.

By the way, it took me two days and 25 phone calls to find some.

I'm looking forward to hearing how different it tastes from the stuff that's marketed as Wasbabi everywhere. I never realized until a couple months ago when my brother was telling me how it goes for $75/lb in Hawaii, that the stuff at Japanese restaurants and the powders at the grocery store are just mustard or horseradish with some food coloring.

At that price I'd love to grow it. I think it only grows in a pond on the top of Mount Fuji next to a statue of the Buddha under his left butt cheek.

There's some places in the pacific northwest that grow it, but it needs a real ideal environment to grow...and Buddha's butt cheek.

. . . the powders at the grocery store are just mustard or horseradish with some food coloring.
Sushi Sonic brand claims to be real... but a seemingly knowledgeable reviewer here implies that it's probably not. S/he also states that the price for real wasabi should be around $100/oz. Of course, prices and markets change, so who knows.

What I can say is that the Sushi Sonic brand satisfies my craving for "wasabi"... but then I probably developed a taste for the fake stuff.

there's "fresh" wasabi root, and there's fresh wasabi root. real wasabi does not have the punch-in-the-nose pungency of the fake stuff that we're all used to. I can find it pretty easily on the west coast, but if it's even a little bit old, it loses pungency altogether and justs tastes bitter and nasty.

Back