Fresno Chili's

I was looking for fresh peppers to make poppers from, when I found what looks like Fresno's. Red, about the same size and shape as a average Jalapeño, but with a flatter crown on the stem end. Taste is slightly fruity, seemed milder than a jalapeño. Inside the pod was many many seeds. They made awesome poppers. I saved the seeds, I must have over a thousand. As soon as they dry, I guess I have trading stock?

I have a couple of Fresno's growing and have heard good things about them. Matter of fact I'm right next to Fresno, CA. Got some pics of those, I've not seen them in the stores here ever.

The red ones on the right.....
100_1196.jpg

I bought 1 fresno pod at a grocery store in Decemember '09, I forgot what they tasted like, I seeded the pod and threw the seeds into some soil. Today, I call Fresno the weed of peppers as every seed I planted sprouted and now I have Fresno pods everywhere. I have even given plants away as they are taking up my much needed gallon containers. They are a nice pepper but when you have 10-20 plants and the things grow like weeds and your focus is on speciality peppers, you really don't need this "chickweed". (If you are from an area that doesn't get chickweed.... then, this "dandilion").

I use Fresno in sauces. Mainly as a color additive. Not much flavor or heat associated with them, unless they're really ripe. And you can get 1000 seeds out of 5 of them. Like what BC said "the things grow like weeds"...

I love frensos, one of my absolute all-time favorites. They have a great fruity flavor and fairly good heat, usually like a good hot jalapeno but more flavorful

just had one tonight, not overly hot but I wasn't looking for hot, I have spent 3 days in 25C weather rebuilding a fence. I took a nice cool shower, fixed myself a shot of brandy and proceeded to pick a ripe fresno. nice thick flesh, juicy and mild heat(which was all I was looking for as my bones are aching from lifting 4X4's and digging).... pepper don't always have to be stupid hot to be tasty and my fresno hit the spot. Then, I tried a black goats weed and that had sizzle... goats weed turn from green, to black, to red. Red is the hotest and that type of heat doesn't mix well with brandy(in the mouth). I sliced up another fresno for drying, then accidently wiped my nasal cavity, that was exciting for awhile.

just had one tonight, not overly hot but I wasn't looking for hot, I have spent 3 days in 25C weather rebuilding a fence. I took a nice cool shower, fixed myself a shot of brandy and proceeded to pick a ripe fresno. nice thick flesh, juicy and mild heat(which was all I was looking for as my bones are aching from lifting 4X4's and digging).... pepper don't always have to be stupid hot to be tasty and my fresno hit the spot. Then, I tried a black goats weed and that had sizzle... goats weed turn from green, to black, to red. Red is the hotest and that type of heat doesn't mix well with brandy(in the mouth). I sliced up another fresno for drying, then accidently wiped my nasal cavity, that was exciting for awhile.
Now how would your finger "accidentally" find itself in your nose? lol

Back