• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Fridge Dried Peppers

This may sound like an odd question, but are peppers that have been left in the fridge and ended up drying OK to remove and just store like normal dried peppers in the cupboard? About a month ago, I put some in the fridge and they got lost behind some stuff and I forgot all about them! I just found them today and they have mysteriously dried. There is no sign of rotting at all and they taste normal (just like dried peppers!).

Should be fine to move out, continue drying or grind up. I've left a few behind in the past, only issue could be mold growing inside the pepper. You might want to cut them in half and check for rot/mold.

Should be fine to move out, continue drying or grind up. I've left a few behind in the past, only issue could be mold growing inside the pepper. You might want to cut them in half and check for rot/mold.
Thanks, mate! I figured as long as they were dry it would be fine but just wanted to confirm it.

Oh, and already checked inside for rot/mold prior to trying one. ;)

So it was hiding behind the "Mystery Pack"in the fridge?

You know,the container that looks like it breaths and moves by itself around on the shelf...The one everyone is afraid to mess with and nobody remembers what it was or when it first appeared.

No wonder you left the peppers wherever they were. :mouthonfire:

This may sound like an odd question, but are peppers that have been left in the fridge and ended up drying OK to remove and just store like normal dried peppers in the cupboard? About a month ago,:eek: I put some in the fridge and they got lost behind some stuff "Wasn't hiding behind the Foster's!!! :beer: :party: and I forgot all about them! I just found them today and they have mysteriously dried. There is no sign of rotting at all and they taste normal (just like dried peppers!).

curious? Open or closed container? are they like crispy dry or like leather? What kind were they?

Interesting! nothing like a good mystery.:think:

If you found no rotting, even on the inside I would say you are good to go! I might try that on purpose now. :lol:

Cheers, SC

That was the one, smokemaster. :lol:

If it was beer they were behind, I would have found them a long time ago, Spicy Chicken (yes, even if it was Fosters). ;)

Actually it was two types (half a Bih and some Guntur chillies) and they were sitting in the crisper and in no container. As for the texture, pretty much the same as a regular dried chilli!

The Bih is understandable as it was halved but the Gunturs were whole! I can see now why they are renown for being a great drying chilli! (well that and their thick skin)

Back