• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds "from germination to potting-up" question

I started using these tiny plastic germination trays instead of a smaller pot that I was using to germinate seedlings. The pot woked well because I didn't have to pot-up for some time and it gave the plant time to strengthen. That little white pot was a "ringer" when it came to germinating seeds :dance: Here's a pic of the old pot:
5364000878_82bffcedba_z.jpg
My issue now is that the seedlings have to be re-potted while they are still smallish because they outgrow the tray. I went to the "tray-method" so that I could keep the seeds seperated/identifiable.

5846494838_c197b295d6_z.jpg

Should I keep the seedlings in the trays as long as possible before attempting to pot-up? Anyone use these small-type trays for germination? I ask because I potted-up a seemingly healthy jalapeno last week, gave it enough water and came home later to an expired seedling. It was on the windowsill getting sun in the morning at the time but, as I mentioned, I watered it before leaving that day.

In my experience the trays need very little water, otherwise you over water. When they are in those seedling trays I use a spray bottle on a mist setting to water everything and then just wait until the top of the soil dries out again before watering some more. I dealt with damping off before I switched to misting and haven't lost a seedling since. Also don't leave them in those cells to terribly long as they could get root bound, once you can pull them out of the cell and the plug stays together, for the most part, time for a bigger home. Good luck and post pic updates!

once the seedlings sprout you have to remove the plastic bro they have to breath...other wise they will croke..grow lights can be cheap if you go with cfls...i have a couple posts about them have you seen em??? I can help you out on that if you want...I love those little trays, i think they are sooooo much better then jiffys :dance: :woohoo: oh and as far as repotting i wait usally till they get kind big like um this size
2011-06-18165115.jpg

misting is definitly the way to water seedlings bro..ohh yeah and i almost never use plastic over the trays or a heat pad and usally have wonderfull luck germinating....hit me up if you need any more advice bro...... :cool: oh an after the trays i go to styrofoam then to pot i wouldnt try to grow more then two plants per pot from experiance the plants stay too small...
2011-06-18091853.jpg

Good tips. Thanks. As far as heat goes, I have to keep them warm as the apartment isn't warm enough to promote germination. I do need to pick up some more pots so i can pot-up. I like the comments about waiting til they're a certain size and the Styrofoam cup idea.

I'd like to thank RS67man for the seeds :cheers: If I can bring these seedlings to fruition, 2011 will be a banner year because I've never grown super-hots :flamethrower: before

I have grown orange hab's (which is @300K S.U.) that I grew from a pod I got at the grocery store but they're only 1/3 as hot as super-hots :

5759465240_e2022c0788_z.jpg

Back