• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic From growing in the ground to hydro

Do ground grown peppers overwinter well in hydro/bato buckets or are grow bags a better choice?

juanitos said:
well if you're doing them in hydro that's not exactly overwintering lol.
Such a great point but the same steps are taken regardless... that's what I'm doing this season but just a learning experiment for me. Keep ya posted..

you can but you have to clean the shit outta them roots, otherwise organic matter (soil) in the water will make the water stinky and well, nasty.
my suggestion is to take cuttings from the plant and root them with some hormone and then use those plants in the hydro and wish the mother plant farewell.. i think it will be a lot less trouble.. you'll have a genetically identical plant and i bet you'll also have a plant that produces fruit much earlier.

juanitos said:
well if you're doing them in hydro that's not exactly overwintering lol.
Well yes it is overwintering, taking them out of the ground to be grown Indoors "over winter" I have a 4000 watts worth of hid lights and a heated grow room to put them in.
stevie said:
you can but you have to clean the shit outta them roots, otherwise organic matter (soil) in the water will make the water stinky and well, nasty.
my suggestion is to take cuttings from the plant and root them with some hormone and then use those plants in the hydro and wish the mother plant farewell.. i think it will be a lot less trouble.. you'll have a genetically identical plant and i bet you'll also have a plant that produces fruit much earlier.
Tonight's lows are supposed to break into the 30's so this is more of a need to rather than a well planned move. I did have concerns about skunky water but was planning on running a peroxide solution for the first while. Do you have a hormone type/concentration level (NAA) ETC, that works good for peppers.

Schdez said:
Well yes it is overwintering, taking them out of the ground to be grown Indoors "over winter" I have a 4000 watts worth of hid lights and a heated grow room to put them in.

Tonight's lows are supposed to break into the 30's so this is more of a need to rather than a well planned move. I did have concerns about skunky water but was planning on running a peroxide solution for the first while. Do you have a hormone type/concentration level (NAA) ETC, that works good for peppers.

Right thats more straight up indoor growing, but i get it, you are growing them over the winter(haha).
People usually use the term overwinter to describe taking their plants inside and having them go dormant until next season. There is a sticky in this section that describes it.

yeah just clean em up good with a strong hose sprayer attachment and can trim some of the roots to get it to fit in your buckets if you need to. Peroxide is a good plan to start out with and don't let your water get too hot. Don't really need anything besides the nutes.

A friend moved a couple of juvenile plants from containers to hydro.  They immediately dropped all their leaves and looked about to die.  But after a week they came back and grew like gangbusters.  So yes, it does seem like a viable idea.

Were I to try it, I think I'd branch and root prune first.  YMMV.  Please let us know how it goes.

Schdez said:

i've had good success with idole 3 butyric acid (iirc its about 0.1%)
local home improvement garden section at homedepot has some for a few bucks.

cut stem, quickly put stem in a cup of water until you ready to add the hormone and then stick the stem some rooting plugs, they're dirt cheap and the best way to root peppers. keep the plug moist but not too wet. peppers take a long time to root compared to other plants and can be a PITA to root (unlike tomatoes for example which root in a matter of days) peppers on the other hand take a minimum of about 2 weeks to start showing roots *if you use hormone*

the key with successfully rooting peppers is no direct light and keep them in a really humid environment.. preferably a humidity dome of some sorts. if you take fairly small cuttings (less than 8 inches) it's easy to put them in a 1 gal zip lock bag (with a small vent hole) and give foliage a squirt of water once a day, don't soak them. just keep the humidity high.

if you follow the steps above you'll have good success..

Back