• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor From indoors to outdoors

Greetings to all!

I have a few late seedlings that I have been growing under a fluorecent grow lamp (very successfully I might add). I moved two of them outside and within hours, most of the leaves are bleached.

Oviously, these plants were not weathered for the direct sun.

My question is, am I screwed with these plants?

Nope. Bring them into an indirect sunlight area, meaning shady. I have some that I did the same thing to, even after they were acclimated, but the sun still cooked the leaves. Now I let them enjoy shaded light and they are just fine.

Good luck!

samething happened to my over winter habs, I cut off all the white leaves, however it really never recovered, what haopened was after I cut.the white leaves it start settibg fruit, so all the energy went into fruit production, and I only have about 10.peppers on that pant with small amount 9f.leaves. I would suggest try not to cut the white leaves and see what happens

Set them outside for only a few hours in the morning, leaving them out a little longer each time until they are hardened off and can survive the new environment.

One of these days I will get around to writing up a hardening off guide. Until then, there's this: http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/vege003/vege003.htm
Basically, you need to start with only 2-3 hours of sun on the first day, gradually moving up to leaving it out all day over a 1-2 week period. Considering we are in full summer and most hardening off instructions are meant for spring, you might want to start with just 1 hour of full sun.

The plant will react to its new environment by altering the structure of the stomata (they control moisture loss through the leaves) and changing the protective wax layer that (among other things) acts as a UV blocking sunscreen for the leaves. New leaves that grow in an outdoor environment should be smaller and a little thicker and/or more waxy looking than indoor growth.

Leaves that are only slightly burned are probably best left on the plant. Leaves that are severely damaged or have almost no green color left should be trimmed.

This is my first year of growing anything from seed, and hopefully in September I will start to transfer my plants from under the lights to the outdoors, and whilst I understand the theories behind hardening off, I'm trying to think how on earth I'm going to achieve it?
I leave for work around 8am and get back at 5pm most days....so do I try and put them out when I get back home? Or maybe just try it at the weekend or something?
How do the rest of you guys do it, as I'm guessing most of you guys would have daytime jobs too?

Stick it in the shade, north side (wait, is it the same in the southern hemisphere? We're told to plant on the south side for the most light, so put the pot on the side with the least light). Yes, start on the weekend. Try to check on it. It wont take much to kill them. Mine started to wilt in the sun so I put them in the shade. By the next morning, they toughened up a bit.

Actually, I moved some of my plants from the grow lights to a south facing windowsill for a week before going outside and they all did fine there and are all doing just fine outdoors now.

Thanks for that Shandley.
I'll ask a few of the local guys to see what they do before i start putting them outside.....but i just got thinking earlier, how people generally do this when they probably aren't at home most of the day due to work etc

My douglah was about i'd say two months old and it got bad sunburn, I put in in morning sun only, for about a week. Now its my biggest plant with 30 pods on it and no other plant is even close to it :!

I'll ask a few of the local guys to see what they do before i start putting them outside.....but i just got thinking earlier, how people generally do this when they probably aren't at home most of the day due to work etc
Placed somewhere under a tree where it only gets direct sunlight for an hour or two. Or if you have none of them trees, somewhere that just gets morning sun (so the east facing side of the house? Use the shade that your house or the neighbours house makes after 10-11AM

In regards to work and sun hardening I have the same problem and as it is my first season I've been told I've put them out to early but they sit on the bar in the shade all day and get an hour of sun when it drops I just move them along the bar to increase the amount of light they get also helps at the same time I'm at the bar and can have a beer ; )hope this helps

Reactions: nee

On the weekend (or days off from work) watch the sun and shadows. Find a spot where they will receive a couple hours of direct early morning sun but be shaded for the rest of the day. See how they respond, if suffering then bring them inside to recover. If doing ok after a couple days, move them so they get another hour of morning sun and so on, until they're all in direct sun as long as they can stand which is all day if temperatures aren't too high (90F or below depending on how long they can go between waterings).

Back