• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

From seeds to Final Transplant

Hello all

This growing season (which for me started in september) i started seeds in some basic seed starter in a 1.25 Litre coke bottle cut in half and had them in a wooden chest with a 40 watt light bulb.

This method for me was touch and go, with most seeds germinating in about 20 days and some of the supossedly hard to germinate seeds (tepin) didn't even germinate.

Once they were about 3 inches tall they were put straight in the garden..

Next season i want to be a bit more organised and professional.

I want to start the process near the end of winter so i have good size plants, and i am doing the final transplant at the beginning of the season.

So here are the questions:

1. Seed starter? Is there better or worse, or is there something better than seed starter?

2. Are heat trays all basicly the same and it only depends on the amount of money I can spend?

3. Are propogators a good idea if i am planning to start in winter? (never gets colder than 1-2 degrees celcius at dead of night)

4. Why is transplanting so important? i'm sure it is cause everyone does it!

4. What is the best time to transplant, in regards to plant height? and how many transplants should be done on average?

thanks!!

Sorry guys I should have posted this thread in the "growing Hot Peppers" section.

I only saw it after i posted the above.

I need a good slap!!!! :oops:

Plants need to be transplanted to bigger containers when they get root bound or they won't have room to grow.
Try to get a heating mat with a thermostat.
I personally don't use a propogator unless I'm rooting cuttings. Too much humidity can really be deadly.

moyboy said:
So here are the questions:

1. Seed starter? Is there better or worse, or is there something better than seed starter?

I like using a seed starting mix. That way I control what my seedlings do or don't get. Plus, they're usually sterile, and that helps you avoid damping off and other nasties. Maybe some of the Australians can suggest actual brands that they like.

2. Are heat trays all basicly the same and it only depends on the amount of money I can spend?

Once again, I'm not sure what's available in Australia, but there are several varieties of heat set ups that I see on line. There are simple seed starting mats that come with or without trays and starting mixtures. There are more complex set ups with heating coils and thermostats. And there are a pretty wide variety of homemade set ups that the do it your selfers put toether. Some folks here just buy a regular hot pad from the drug store, the kind you use on sore muscles.

I like the simple seed starting mats, and have several sizes. All I have to do is plug them in, no fiddling with thermostats or worrying if the soil temp is correct. Everyone has their favorite, though, and you just have to figure out what fits best with your budget and space.

3. Are propogators a good idea if i am planning to start in winter? (never gets colder than 1-2 degrees celcius at dead of night)

Where ever you put them, you need to be able to keep your seedlings warm. Temperatures below 10C (50C) at night will make for unhappy peppers. In my experience, seedlings that get off to a poor start because of cool temperatures never really catch up to the ones that are kept warm. I have a soil thermometer and make sure the soil is at 50 degrees at least 8 inches down before I'll plant my seedlings in the spring, and I prefer it to be 60.

4. Why is transplanting so important? i'm sure it is cause everyone does it!

You don't want your plants to be too root bound. Peppers will tolerate a little bit of that, but it slows their growth. If you start seeing roots coming out of the bottom of a pot, or lots of roots just under the surface on top, it's probably time to pot up to a larger pot.

4. What is the best time to transplant, in regards to plant height? and how many transplants should be done on average?

It all depends on how large the pot you started them in is. I start mine in 15 oz plastic drinking cups, and rarely need to transplant them to larger pots. I time it so they go straight into the ground. The plants are usually 5 to 8 inches high, and have well developed roots.

Bigger pot usually means bigger plant. These 3 plants were all started at the same time but grown in different sized pots. The small one was obviously rootbound and needed watering about 3 times a day.

1296502834875a3047cenx5.jpg

Thanks Pam & POTAWIE.

You guys have helped me heap. I am now starting to get a piture in my mind of what i need and what i am going to do.

Cheers

Back