Frost affected plants like Guru's, will they grow?

I was looking over Guru's Glog and saw something familiar. The legendary plants he let mother nature take her course with that are now for sure compost.

This is my 2nd year growing and of course I wanted to save my old plants and let them have a chance at coming back for a second year. I did not overwinter but it did not get too cool here so the plants just kind of lost some leaves and went dormant. They started to grow new stems from the main stalk later in the year and I got excited but then a frost came, and I work at night and did not know the cold was coming until the damage was done. It did not seem to affect the plants too much but now I have twigs that look pretty much like peppergurus old plants which is why I ask the question. I have heard you need leaves to keep the plant alive, but it came back without leaves before.

Am I wasting my time letting them try to grow back, or is there still a chance? Maybe way to check to know? I am starting new plants from seed but would still like the ones from last year as additions if possible.

I just talked to a major datil producer here in st augie----joe hill of bite me farms----he says he would never keep a pepper plant for more than one year production...So here is another pepper grower who says till them up and start from the best seeds u save for the next year--major farmers have tried w a portion of their crop around here and they all ended up in compost....Marsha mcqaid w over 200 pepper plants agrees!

well, i'm no expert, but i love my overwinters. cut those bad boys (or girls, whatever you prefer to call them) back and they just explode to a humongous plant producing peppers way before any pepper you started from seed that year could. the plants that i chose to not cut back have produced less than half and look like crap compared to the ones i did cut back to almost nothing. it's amazing. there must be a bunch of stored nitrogen in the soil or something that the plant just takes up and blows the f up. i love that i can have peppers growing all year round, and i am able to harvest literally tens of pounds while people who started their plants from seed are still waiting for a pod to show up. 

no, i'm definitely not saying that what this fellow above me said is incorrect. for all i know, i'm an idiot and everything i know is wrong. this is only my 3rd year growing peppers and i'm just speaking from my own experience. 

Back