• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Fruit Trees

Now I've moved back into my house and have room to play in the back yard I am sorting out what to do with that room.

The one down fall of the back yard is that 8 inches under the ground is land fill so more plants/trees don't like being planted direct in the yard.

I have a heap of raised garden bed, but are my seasonal gardens that have veggies, herbs, chillis, tomatoes etc. I want fruit trees but the above points make it hard.

Well I am getting it sorted.

I have purchased a heap of half wine barrels which I am filling with dwarf fruit trees....So far I have:

Dwarf lemon
Dwarf Navel orange
Dwarf Mandarin
Dwarf lime
Kamquat

I am also getting:

Dwarf Mango
Dwarf Avacardo
Dwarf apple tree
Dwarf Mulberry (this will go straight in the ground as it is highly tolarent of bad/hard soil)
Dragon Fruit (this is a running cactus which I will plant in a raised bed and grow it along the fence)

I'm also thinking of a Guava plant...

I can't wait to get them all going.....

Nice one Moyboy !
I have ALOT of fruit and veg here on my property, that I inherited when I bought the place. They were 85yr old KEEN gardeners with 1 acre lived here 38years.... a lot of its eatable..... Avocado, blue &blackberries, cherries, mango's, 8 banana plams, dragon fruit, passion fruits of all kinds, all herbs, apricot, peach, nectarine, lemon.lime, kumquat, tanderrine, Bay leaf tree, curry plant And much more I have not even seen yet !
Just pruned back alot of my fruit trees, as they were not looked after.
My dragon fruit is HUGE ! - Climbing a gum tree to the top and every branch ! -ill get photos !

I can give you HUGE cuttings of dragon fruit ! As they are easy to transplant ! Give you 5 or 6 so you can do your whole fence !

New stuff found all the time, As i have only been here few months.
If you want any of the seeds or cuttings happy to send/ p`up ! Or exchange.

IAN

Good luck,

chilliman said:
Nice one Moyboy !
I have ALOT of fruit and veg here on my property, that I inherited when I bought the place. They were 85yr old KEEN gardeners with 1 acre lived here 38years.... a lot of its eatable..... Avocado, blue &blackberries, cherries, mango's, 8 banana plams, dragon fruit, passion fruits of all kinds, all herbs, apricot, peach, nectarine, lemon.lime, kumquat, tanderrine, Bay leaf tree, curry plant And much more I have not even seen yet !
Just pruned back alot of my fruit trees, as they were not looked after.
My dragon fruit is HUGE ! - Climbing a gum tree to the top and every branch ! -ill get photos !

I can give you HUGE cuttings of dragon fruit ! As they are easy to transplant ! Give you 5 or 6 so you can do your whole fence !

New stuff found all the time, As i have only been here few months.
If you want any of the seeds or cuttings happy to send/ p`up ! Or exchange.

IAN

Good luck,

Ian

I am now insanly jealous of you mate......

Some cutting of the dragon fruit would be great. I will be keeping them under control so the neighbours don't get infested by them as well....But yeah, I've seen pics of them invading huge trees. Would make it hard to get the fruit though....

Novacastrian said:
Sick nuts mate, how much did you pay for your half wine barrels?

I paid $45 a half. They were from Rosemount estate cause that winery is closing down, I've been told of a guy at Lochinvar that sells them for cheaper so i'll be trying to find him as I need more!!!!

moyboy said:
Ian

I am now insanly jealous of you mate......

Some cutting of the dragon fruit would be great. I will be keeping them under control so the neighbours don't get infested by them as well....But yeah, I've seen pics of them invading huge trees. Would make it hard to get the fruit though....
!!!

It has not fruited yet, still waiting ! My local fruit guy will buy them at APP $5.00 per big piece of fruit, apparently its really expensive and hard to get.?

You will have to rock on over and grab some mate, bring a trailer if you want. LOL -
Garbo bag full of cuttings would be within easy reach.

Apparently you just stick the cut stump in the ground and water.
Some people leave the wound to heal a little first.

Moyboy - I bought my lid today ! for UDS, i ended up getting it direct from weber as a new part. It was to hard to find the BIG lid or Silver version second hand went out and seen a couple and just were not right ones !.
it cost me $107.10 shipped. ( it will look good new ! 3day ship)

chilliman said:
Moyboy - I bought my lid today ! for UDS, i ended up getting it direct from weber as a new part. It was to hard to find the BIG lid or Silver version second hand went out and seen a couple and just were not right ones !.
it cost me $107.10 shipped. ( it will look good new ! 3day ship)

Wow...$107....wow....:lol:

I got a whole 'as new' webber for $20 plus the $18 for the wanted add in the newcastle herald that ran for 3 days..... I could have got you a near new one for about $50, (just would have had to get it to you). I'm using the lid and the roasting tray.....I'm getting another roasting tray as I want to have 2 trays for a big cook or be able to use the lower tray for a faster cook or the top tray for a slower cook.....Looking forward to seeing yours...:)

I've been making some inquiries and I can't get a dwarf apple tree for a few months now :( and if I get one, I need to get another of a different variety to cross pollinate them both...

I know expensive, but got the themo free they are sending with it. And not a dollar spared on the new smoker !
And it will be here for this weekends build.

Back