• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Fungus Gnats in Tuberous Begonias

There are a lot of fungus gnats in my Begonias in hanging baskets so I sat them on a ledge and put a plastic bottle with some white wine vinegar in the bottom next to them to attract and catch them.
The only spray I have is Neem oil and I don't know if it works on them or not.

Suggestions?

I was told H202 diluted to 1.5% works for the maggots, use it like you would water.

It is this hydrogen peroxide in rainwater that makes it so much more effective than tap water when given to plants. With the increased levels of atmospheric pollution, however, greater amounts of H202 react with air-borne toxins and never reach the ground. To compensate for this, many farmers have been increasing crop yields by spraying them with diluted hydrogen peroxide (5 to 16 ounces of 35% mixed with 20 gallons of water per acre). You can achieve the same beneficial effect with your house plants by adding 1 ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide (or 16 drops of 35% solution) to every quart of water you give your plants. (It can also be made into an excellent safe insecticide. Simply spray your plants with 8 ounces of 3% peroxide mixed with 8 ounces of white sugar and one gallon of water.)

http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

I tried it and will do it again there are several sites with information about it someone posted on here a couple weeks ago

Thanks for the tips.
Rodney, that was interesting info on H202.
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Simply spray your plants with 8 ounces of 3% peroxide mixed with 8 ounces of white sugar and one gallon of water.)[/background]

I wonder why they are mixing so much sugar in the mix though? Eight ounces of sugar in a gallon of water? Is that a misprint?

Seems like that would plug the stomata if foliar sprayed with that mix and if the sugar was not completely broken down it would clog the sprayer. :eh:

Did you have any problems with this mixture?

I just use 1 cup of 3% to 1 gallon of water(filtered or distilled)

Well I mixed up 1/4 cup of 3% with 32 oz. of filtered water and sprayed the Begonias all over including the soil and checked on them a while ago.
Still heavily infested. How long does it take to work? I am thinking Pyrethrum would be a better choice.

From what I have experienced it kills the maggots which are the real bad guys, the gnats will die off soon enough the key is to break the life cycle, Peroxide kills the maggots and the eggs. I spray my plants with a neem oil/pepper juice/detergent mix every 3-5 days to control white flies, it literally knocks the flies out of the air as they try to escape.

Back