Galapagoense, Cumari do Para, Cumari O Passarinho, Wild Brazil ???

cone9

eXtreme
Galapagoense, Cumari do Para, Cumari O Passarinho, Wild Brazil 

Can you tell me how tall/wide each of these grow?

How difficult is C. galapagoense to germinate/grow?  Any suggestions on how best to proceed?  Portuge was kind enough to send me some seed and I'd prefer not to waste it with my ignorance.

I just read that they were slow to germinate (1 month), very sensitive to climate change, hard to set flowers/fruit - you get the picture...Contact Judy (Pepperlover), she can give better info. Sounds like you have a challenge on your hands!

C. galapagoense might be a challenge.  You have to keep it somewhere between too dry and too wet for perhaps a month.

What kind of grow medium are you using?

I have Wild Brazill seed I saved from some I ate last summer.  They are a tasty pepper.  I am growing Charapita, but thought I might try to add another small fruited variety from among seed I already have on hand.  A small sized plant would make that more feasible.  Like many of us, my desire to grow far exceeds my resources!
I also have C. chacoense seed.  How large does it grow?

I should have started separate threads as the C. galapagoense is really a different issue.
I started most of my grow list a week ago in Rootcubes.  I like how uniform the moisture seems to be maintained in them.  Most varieties are up already.
I plan to transfer these over to Miracle Grow as individuals require.

As I expect the C. galapagoense to be a multi-year project, I was putting it off a while to start after my other plants are re-potted and well on their way.  Then I can put more attention into germinating the C. galapagoense.  Would this pepper be amenable to planting in a smaller pot(8" to 10") for the first year?  This would make the transition into the house for the winter a simpler process for me.
Have you advise on temperature or humidity for germination and early growth?
How about light, temp, water preferences once it's outside?

Thanks

Once the galapa starts growing you'll feel it out depending on how fast it grows for you.  I believe the seed you have is the same I sent Portuge, but am not sure.  Anyway, if it is, the parent I grew from seed and got a lot of flowers and fruit in one grow season last year.  Really depends on how the plant turns out...

Spicegeist said:
Once the galapa starts growing you'll feel it out depending on how fast it grows for you.  I believe the seed you have is the same I sent Portuge, but am not sure.  Anyway, if it is, the parent I grew from seed and got a lot of flowers and fruit in one grow season last year.  Really depends on how the plant turns out...
Jim told me he was growing from seed you sent to him, but the said the seed he sent to me came from Semillas.  He also sent some C. chacoense which I'm tempted to grow as well (along with a gazillion other peppers I'm tempted to grow - it just never ends).

I'll have to move on this but I'll wait a couple weeks until my other starts are potted up.  I can set up special spot for the C. galapagoense, out of the way where I can easily wait it out!  I have four very nice looking seeds so I can try 1 or 2 and if they don't germinate I'll still be good for another go at it.

I'm growing the galapagoense for the first time. It germinated at 12 days and right now it's about 3-4 inches tall. So far it loves the environment I'm giving it so we'll see how it turns out. Right now it looks like it wants to branch out so for me that's a plus. Due to my weather here I'm keeping it indoors and might take it outside in spring only and fall.

I'm also growing the Chacoense, about 5 types and so far they're doing ok. I find they like less damp conditions, some seem to be getting edema while my other wilds don't show any trace of it.

As for the wild brazil idk. Check out Shane's 2013 glog. He grew one that GA growhead sent him.

Have fun!

-Walt

cone9 said:
Jim told me he was growing from seed you sent to him, but the said the seed he sent to me came from Semillas.  He also sent some C. chacoense which I'm tempted to grow as well (along with a gazillion other peppers I'm tempted to grow - it just never ends).

I'll have to move on this but I'll wait a couple weeks until my other starts are potted up.  I can set up special spot for the C. galapagoense, out of the way where I can easily wait it out!  I have four very nice looking seeds so I can try 1 or 2 and if they don't germinate I'll still be good for another go at it.

We have an identical climate. I suggest sowing your galapagoense now,plant all 4 seeds also. If you plant two,and wait 40 days,and they don't germinate,then you have to plant the last two. If those seeds germinate in 30 days or so(if they do at all) then you are a couple months in the hole. C.galapagoense take an eon to ripen!!!! They can germinate in 10 days or under also,this is the frustrating thing about some wilds. One thing is certain though...they take forever to get a fully ripened fire red pod!

My suggestion if you don't want to get all your gear set up for one variety... Get a 4 cell or cut a single cell,however you want to do it,and put it on a router,dvr,etc.. If it germinates,you can keep it happy under a cfl desk light until you integrate it with your main grow. Hopefully this was helpful.

Galopagoense in my indoor hydro setup grew an easy 3ft. X 3ft. plant.
Buds  heavily but sets fruit only when it feels like it.
Not hard to sprout or grow in general FROM FRESH seeds.

As with most wilds,fresh seeds make a difference-BIG TIME.
Even 1 season old seeds are a lot harder to get to grow than fresh ones.

I grew 3 or 4 different Galopagoense-if there is any difference...
97450083 , PI 639682 , CGN 22208 and another just called galopagoense labeled as LARGE(said to be direct from the islands).....

Yellow Charapita are very cool.Great peppers for taste!
XLNT variety.

This year was a wonder year so far,  I started with 8 galapagoense seeds that I got from Spicgeist (Thank You) along with some of Judy's Blue Mystery along with some C. eximium and C, Praetermissum, and a Rocoto Hybrid cross.  I didn't do anything special as I had been waiting on a tax return,  so all the seeds were just soaked overnight in a Hydrogen peroxide and water mix then put on a wet paper towel and set in small covered plastic containers, which I had set on top of my lighting system that is being used to keep my overwintered plants going . The first to show signs of life was my Praetermissum, at 7 days nearly all 7 had signs of root growth, then to my surprise was 2 of the 8 seeds of the Galapagoense showed root growth and every one to two days all but one seed had spouted , after that was Judy's Blue mystery, and some C. chacoense that I had put in at the last moment, My c. eximium which I was hoping to spout has not sprouted and the container smells of rot, they were pretty old seeds close to 6 years old while all the rest were 1 to 4 years old. The galapagoense was a real surprise to me as I have tried three times before without any luck, so I'm very happy that this time I have 7 plants of the galapagoense now over a inch tall and doing just fine. Oh yes the last to sprout was the Hybrid Rocoto I got 5 out of 6 seeds all of which are growing well.

Back