• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Garage at night?

Hey everyone....

I have 3 TSMB, a yellow 7 pot and a douglah I started in January. They have been in 1 gallon pots and are about 12" tall some of which are a bit smaller even. Ive kept them in smaller pots so they are stunted a bit and they've been pretty much ignored as far as feedings go.

Im wanting to transplant into 5 gallon buckets which will be their permanent containers during this growing season season (container garden).

However, my climate is a bit weird. Im in Flagstaff, AZ. Im in arizona so the sun is rather intense during the day even right now ... but Im at 7,000' elevation up in the mountains so the temps are in the mid to high 60's/low 70's with nightime temps in the mid to low 30's dipping into the 20's at times. We are classified as zone 5b but our sun is intense. I got a sunburn this weekend just by being out during the day in 65 degree weather - for example.

The plants have been indoors, under T5's.

I want to start hardening off now but am wondering if I transplant into 5 gallon buckets, then start hardening them off little by little over the next week or two but put them in the garage at night. Will this be too much of a shock? My garage is not insulated so it would be quite a bit colder then what they have been used to inside my spare bedroom under the T5's on a 18/6 light schedule.

Maybe I should transplant them into 5 gallon buckets, stick a T5 in the garage during the day, and let them acclimate to that first for a week or so and let them stretch their roots a bit (as well as bump up their feedings to get them going better)... then start outside hardening off.

Any suggestions? Im going to have to do something like this now because my season is to short otherwise. First frost is usually late October.

Outdoors is best. You can put some kind of mesh netting or cloth over them to keep em from getting sunburned. Of course you will want to take em in at night to avoid frost

Sounds good, Ill just go for it then and transplant now and start hardening off. I have full shaded areas as well as full sun areas so gradual exposure shouldnt be a problem.

Gracias

I thought about a greenhouse but I'm pretty unfamiliar with how much it really would change things. I'm pretty green to growing outdoors.

The worst of our winters usually consist of 10-20 degree days ...with usually just a short period of below zero ...about a week or two (down to -10/-15 deg max for maybe one week). Even then though when the Sun comes up it heats everything up in a matter of hours. We can get 18" of snow and it will be gone in 2-3 days.

I wouldn't expect to keep plants producing through the winter but it would be nice to have them out now. As mentioned the Sun is more then adequate right now its just air temps.

It would be really cool to keep some in ground plants alive year round (dormant) so that I didn't have to start new or bring them in the house to overwinter. Not sure how I warm I would have to keep it to make that happen though? I'm guessing above freezing and the $$it would take might not make that feasible ...I'm not sure?

Either way I'm not sure how much of an extension I could get on the season with one or if its worth the cost. I think our days have been in the 60's since the beginning of March though.

Back