• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Garden row and plant placement

Hi Guys,

Next year i plan to have a nice huge garden (maybe raised bed type) or directly the soil.

anyway...

I want to plant multiple different peppers and i would like to have info on spacing between rows and spacing between plant.

i will surely grow some basic cayenne and jalapeno
but since i havent grow any Super hot
do these plants need more spacing?

i live in caanda so the weather is colder (about 25C suring summer some peak at 32 once in a very big while)
so my growing window is may till september

I will start my pepper in january to have something with a good head start at transplant...

so basically what are your suggestion if i want to have as much as i can to have a nice big harvest?

maybe some family need more space than other?

well some will be isolated to have seeds that wont be crossed. i have a pretty huge land with a lots of apple trees (orchard) so i can put peppers anywrer far from each other

but most of all i iwll eat or transform into sauce can grow upo in the same section.
near some other vegetable like cucumber and tomatoes.

Basically my question is what distance between plants and rows to have max yeild.

I'm finding that 3ftaccount per plant is a comfortabble space for me. The plants just start to touch at that point

for super hot or normal peppers?

my jalapeno and cayenne are pretty tight (maybe 1foot diameter) dont know for hanaero, scopr, aji lemon, jolokia and other of this family?????

Plant spacing is relative to the overall size of the plant, not whether or not if its a super hot or not. The Bhut Jolokias I had last year reached almost six feet across and four and a half feet high. This year, they're considerable more compact but still large. My jalapenos last year never got over a foot and a half and this year they are close to four feet.

I say three feet because that works for me and allows me to get around each plant without too much trouble, allows for more airflow around the plant and sunlight to reach through to the lower leaves.

There are some that grow them as close as the pots will allow but seems to be a result of space more than anything else.

If you have room, I say use it.

All my plants are spaced at 3 feet in the rows and 6 feet between the rows. Anything less I find to be too crowded. It works well for everything, with the exception of Poblano, which is real branchy and needs lots of staking. I would give that one 4 to 6 feet.

Chinenses grow much bushier and wider than annums, and superhots generally grow much larger than most other chinenses, so keep that in mind. Annums like cayenne and jalapeno grow tall and not usually very wide. 1' to 2' feet should be fine for those. My in ground bhut jolokias and Trinidad scorpions get about 5-6' tall and 4-5' wide, and they're in less than ideal, somewhat compacted soil. Others here have superhots much larger than these. I would go a minimum of 2' feet for superhots, 3'+ is probably more ideal. It's ok, and even preferable that the plants grow together somewhat, as long as they're not so close that they're blocking a lot of sun to the other plants.

I prefer to plant in double rows so that the plants grow together, but I can still get to all of them from the perimeter. You don't want to step anywhere on the garden soil because it compacts the soil. You want to be able to reach all the plants while standing on the perimeter.

Back