• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Garden soil in containers.

Capsicum

Banned
A little experiment I thought I would try. I used my native soil right in this planter. I planted two cayenne. I will update to see how they grow. I just planted them 3 days ago and I already had to water again, it is quite sandy but rich clay. I will feed with botanicare pure blend pro grow.

014-2.jpg

Looks good but do you have a control group, same plant at same size planted in the soil you'd otherwise use? That's my primary problem, way too many variables to deal with before I could feel any conclusions were proven. I suppose I could try to collect data more scientifically but the length of my growing season tends to limit my crops more than anything else.

Looks good but do you have a control group, same plant at same size planted in the soil you'd otherwise use? That's my primary problem, way too many variables to deal with before I could feel any conclusions were proven. I suppose I could try to collect data more scientifically but the length of my growing season tends to limit my crops more than anything else.

Yea I have a few of the same sized cayenne in 1 gal containers in some quality potting mix.

Thanks for adding that I will get a pic of the cayennes in the potting mix as well.

Make a second one and use organics, I say this because native soil should have some good climate acclimated stuff in it. If I didn't let my dog shyt all over the little bit of yard that I do have, I would get some of that dirt and test it. However I'm not in to Dog poo manure for many reasons. I would think the main reason to use native soil would be to take advantige of the stuff living in it? I guess this is a preference thing again. Still a good Idea regardless.

Make a second one and use organics, I say this because native soil should have some good climate acclimated stuff in it. If I didn't let my dog shyt all over the little bit of yard that I do have, I would get some of that dirt and test it. However I'm not in to Dog poo manure for many reasons. I would think the main reason to use native soil would be to take advantige of the stuff living in it? I guess this is a preference thing again. Still a good Idea regardless.

I am feeding Botanicare pure blend. That is for the most part organic.

The soil I used has quite a bit of sand in it so it should do ok I would think. I would really like to see them take off in the soil.

Compaction is a concern when using plain old dirt in containers. Water from the bottom and the dirt will stay loose for much longer. Just get one of those shallow dish thingies to sit under your pot and pour the water in that instead of on top of the soil. Capillary action will carry the water up to where it needs to go. Bottom watering also keeps nitrogen and other highly mobile nutrients from draining out the bottom of the pot every time you water.

I have attempted this before and compaction was my issue. Then I tried half soil half potting mix with slightly better results. Good luck with it, I think cayenne was a good choice, they seem to be my most forgiving variety.

Mix native soil @30%, peat and compost @30% aerators (permits verm) @20% and amendments at 10% and you will essentially have what I shoot for in a super soil :)

Get experimental and add other goods to finish the last 10% or so

The native soil is great for innoculation of Ben micros, to multiply into your other ingredients.

Back