garemination fail ?

Hi guys

So It has been 4 weeks now since I have started germinating my seeds and it doesn't look too good ...

3/3 fatalii jigsaw
2/4 Bhut jolokia
0/6 Carolina reaper
0/5 Moruga scorpion
0/4 chocolate habanero
0/4 devils tongue
0/4 white habanero

They are in a plastic container with some kitchen paper. The first ones sprouted in about a week, then NOTHING

Is here still hope for them ? the seeds came from ukchilliseeds.co.uk 
In the meantime I have ordered some more seeds on pepperlover, just to see if it is my technique, or the seeds that have a problem ...

If you got 3/3 for Jigsaw and 2/4 for Bhuts, I'm guessing it's not your technique. The others may not be viable seeds. Habs certainly should not take longer than 4 weeks to germinate. Just my thoughts on the matter.

There is still hope time wise assuming the seeds have not been too wet or too hot, but the lack of germination after that period, IMO does indicate a problem.

I dont think its a matter of your technique being good and the rest being bad seeds. I think its a case of the ones that did germ got lucky. Is there any pattern to the germing? e.g are all the ones that germed for example all on one side of a heat mat.

i.e. 4 weeks in itself is not so bad and some seeds are just slow to germ, but you would expect a much higher percentage to have germed by now and only be waiting on the stragglers.

whats the temperature like there? are you using any kind of heat mat? 

the temp is around 26°C, there is no heat, but I place the box in a cupboard where the temp is stable ... For my info, what would be "too hot" exactly ? 

I agree when you say that the percentage should be higher .... Maybe the fataliis and bhuts were viable, and the other ones not so much...I guess I will give them few extra days, and see what happens

Here's my 2 cents...
Temp needs to be higher, 79f will slow things down a LOT.  Whats the humidity in the containers, do you see condensation dripping and running down from the lids?  Can you move them to a naturally warm place like on top of the fridge, near a radiator or on a west facing window sill?  Another good location that is seldom talked about is on top of the hot water heater.  Always warm but not very large.

Condensation is ok assuming whatever the seeds are in isnt saturated.
I germ my seeds in closed containers in jiffy pellets on top of hot water heater, to promote condensation & keep the moisture in so I don't need to water them.

So condensation can be good because it keeps in the moisture, but you need to be sure to remove the lid / move the seedling out of the condensation once its sprouted or you will get mould

I suspect that keeping your seeds in a cupboard at room temperature isn't keeping them warm enough. I would recommend germinating them on a heat mat if possible, or at least finding a warmer spot for them, as Nuclieye suggested.

if the seeds are "good", they should be popped already. Not saying they won't pop eventually but all the seeds i harvest and plant myself take less than a month. If certain varieties are sprouting then you are doing something right. :dance:  :dance:

I try to keep my temps at a constant 30C when germinating.The warmer the better.No such things as to much humidity/condensation as long as you remove them as soon as you see them hook/sprout so you dont get damping off.
I still honestly believe keeping a constant temp 28-31C and using a  good seed raising mix is the best way and works really well for me  :)

Back