• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Generic Plant Care Flyer

I've decided to hit the local markets with a range of plants at about 1 month growth. I'm sprouting each variety in different colored plastic cups because I'm a lazy s.o.b & I don't want to write up names & prices for each.

By way of being even lazier and to avoid gabbing on to the general public {shudder} I thought it would be good to hand out a standard home printed small list of instructions of maybe 5 or 10 points. Generic things to do to get a 'standard' result from their plant.

As an end result I'll make a printable page available for us all to download and use when we're passing the good stuff around.

If you have one point or 20, please post them here.

Thanks.

Oh, great idea, selling your surplus plants.

bentalphanerd said:
I've decided to hit the local markets with a range of plants at about 1 month growth. I'm sprouting each variety in different colored plastic cups because I'm a lazy s.o.b & I don't want to write up names & prices for each.

You realize that no one is going to remember what you told them and will be back all season asking "What was the plant you sold me?"

Although, the colored cups are a good idea.

By way of being even lazier and to avoid gabbing on to the general public {shudder}

Bu..bu...but gabbing to the general public is one of the best parts! It's a twofer...you get to enlighten the public, and you're stocking up on great stories to tell us later.

I thought it would be good to hand out a standard home printed small list of instructions of maybe 5 or 10 points. Generic things to do to get a 'standard' result from their plant.

As an end result I'll make a printable page available for us all to download and use when we're passing the good stuff around.

If you have one point or 20, please post them here.

Are you thinking of starting with basic requirements for growing peppers, like hours of sunlight and amounts of water, or are you going to assume they know a few basics? Just tips or in FAQ format?

I'd include a few of the answers to the common questions we get here. Let's see:

*All peppers, both sweet and hot, ripen to some shade of red, orange, or yellow. You may eat them while they are green, but it is best to wait until they are ripe to get the full flavor.

*Don't give peppers a high nitrogen fertilizer, it encourages green growth, not pepper production. Look at the 3 numbers on the fertilizer container. The first number is the amount of nitrogen and should not be the highest number. Ask at a reputable nursery for a fertilizer that is good for vegetables or flowering plants.

*If you plant a sweet pepper next to a hot pepper, it will not make the sweet peppers hot. Cross pollination from a hot pepper will affect next year's seeds, not this year's fruit.

Hm, must think on this more. Maybe we should move this up to one of the regular forums and hammer out a good tip sheet.

Pam said:
You realize that no one is going to remember what you told them and will be back all season asking "What was the plant you sold me?"

i figure I can scrawl the name on the flyer as I sell them.

Pam said:
Are you thinking of starting with basic requirements for growing peppers, like hours of sunlight and amounts of water, or are you going to assume they know a few basics? Just tips or in FAQ format?

I'm assuming that they were born yesterday with an innate ability to screw up anything. I'd like to keep it really simple, like -

1. Don't overwater, they don't like wet feet.
2. There is no real need to fertilize
etc. etc.

& maybe even have the URL of this forum on the bottom of the flyer so they can source more info if they want to.

Back