• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense genetics of the chocolate Bhut Jolokia?

We just had our first chocolate Bhut Jolokia, and it was a real hit on hot pepper night. A few were wondering though, does anyone know exactly what was crossed to make this, or how this pepper became to be one way or the other? Thanks, Tom

Well, I've heard about two types, one made by a guy crossing bhut jolokia with chocolate hab, and another that was found in the same area as the red bhut.

one is hotter than the other :)

if i am not mistaken this is a natural variation, just like the yellow and red. it was then selectivly bred to just be brown in color. so its genes are bhut jolokia. i might be wrong but i think i remember reading something about this last year on here. there was a pic i think of a bhut jolokia plant that had all 3 color pods growing.

Very cool spongey! I didnt know that :) Its amazing how many different varieties and variations of peppers there are! ;)

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. The strain I have is definitely pure bhut, I haven't noticed a hint of hab in them. I can't say the same for the yellow bhut, looks and tastes of yellow fatili.

Last night I was doing some quality control before shipping a bunch of peppers. I ate a piece of red bhut, it was pretty typical. 10 minutes later ate a piece of yellow bhut and I could just barely pick up the heat after the red. Another 10 minutes later I ate a piece of chocolate bhut and it melted my face off. I swear they are hotter than the reds but as we all know, the tongue test is very subjective.

I'm pretty sure Frontal Agritech (major supplier of all things bhut jolokia in India) found a chocolate/brown bhut jolokia growing in their fields as a natural variation. As for the yellow, I have never really seen or read anything that has convinced me it is not a cross of some sort.

chocolate = natural variant

yellow = cross

my 2 cents...

I'm pretty sure Frontal Agritech (major supplier of all things bhut jolokia in India) found a chocolate/brown bhut jolokia growing in their fields as a natural variation. As for the yellow, I have never really seen or read anything that has convinced me it is not a cross of some sort.

chocolate = natural variant

yellow = cross

my 2 cents...

That's what my understanding is too. But as time goes on and red bhut variations multiply along with the rest of the colors, these distinctions will melt away... there are some good red bhuts and some not so interesting in my opinion, same with yellow and brown too...

There are already several different chocolate/brown bhuts going around and also chocolate/brown nagas. The ones from Assam should be mutations of real bhuts while the others are likely recent crosses and unstable

<p>Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the variation of a Bhut instead of the cross. These look just like regular Bhuts, but just had a different color and taste. I can tell you though that these chocolates were obviously hotter than the regular red Bhuts grown by the same person. They tasted really good fried.
Everyone who comes to pepper night brings a few things and after everyone has sampled some fresh peppers, we usually thinly slice some Morugas, Butch Ts, Bhuts, Nagas, yellow 7s, Fataliis, and a few halapenos, and they fry them up for us and we have a mixed bowl of variously hot fried pepper slices. They are so good. Sometimes, when someone brings something different, we have had yellow and red Brains, 7 pod Jonahs and Barak Pore, and whatever else someone decides to bring.
Everyone, even the new people, all thought the chocolate Bhuts were impressive. Thanks again everyone for the info. I'll pass this along. Tom

Just because there are in existance SOME brown colored bhuts that are the result of crosses, doesn't mean they all are, or that the one you have even is :)

I was just tossing out there that there are others that exist.

I hope everyone has the variety from assam, but undoubtedly there are going to be a few with the cross.

Back