German beer stein questions

hello all about a little better than 20 years ago i received two stoneware German beer steins from a collection of them(about 8 to 10) that my father brought back from a small town in Germany called "TREIR" on the northwest border with Germany and Luxenborg

my father was stationed at Spang/Dolom US Airforce Base Germany

they where made sometime between 1951 and 1957 Just guessing because it was around 1957 that he bought them

they are marked on the bottom with a triangle and inside it is written "GURZ" which signifies they were made by Simon Peter Gurz, the company began making these beautiful steins in 1804

the one has written on it  "IN LUSTGER MITT,ALL SORGEN QUITT"

it is translated>>   "In the midst of merriment all sorrow ceases"

they are both very ornate especially the handles and have pewter tops

the one with the writting has a scene of a quaint german town and a man being served beer by a women under a tree,

the other of a women serving beer to men seated at a table,the one fellow is seated on a tree stump

i have never drank out of them and was wondering if there worth very much?  these are the real deal and are not copies

the little bit of info above is about what i know of them

does anyone else have anymore info on them??

it would be greatly appreciated

i always have had trouble posting pics on here so sorry i dont have pics
if anyone is willing to help i can take a few pics if they would be willing to post them for me

thanks your friend Joe

thanks your friend Joe

Hi Joe, it has to be from Trier (capital of the state Rheinland-Pfalz where Flugplatz Sprang-Dahlem is/was). It's called a "Maß" here. The value is usually unclear, here old ones are readily available and usually not that expensive (20-40). However if it are nicely decorated ones they might be worth something for a collector or a hipster. I'm not sure whether they would be worth more in the US with that hipster hype going on.

Is it this one?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/190720675/1960s-signed-stein-german-scenes-8-tall

Btw in lust'ger mitt, all Sorgen quitt means something like "in good company, all worries fade away" (i.e. It's good to be with your drinking buddies).

hello ted

thanks for your reply and the info yes thats where my father was stationed, i guess the next question is my father said that it is no longer a US air base was the air base turned over to the german airforce when the US decomissioned it??

my father also has fond memoriess of a beer that he loved called CASPARY BAU im told it is no longer in bussiness but the company no prduces brewing equiptment

any more info is appreciated

thanks your friend Joe

Pfeffer said:
I'd rather have a beer..
me too!!

Hi Joe,

I believe the US pulled their A 10 Thunderbolts and now lease it to Canadians, but I'm not sure. I looked up that brewery the last time, but it indeed seem they stopped brewing.

Lots of breweries are obsoleted by Anheuser-Busch and AdInbev these days, unfortunately..

Pfeffer said:
Hi Joe,

I believe the US pulled their A 10 Thunderbolts and now lease it to Canadians, but I'm not sure. I looked up that brewery the last time, but it indeed seem they stopped brewing.

Lots of breweries are obsoleted by Anheuser-Busch and AdInbev these days, unfortunately..
thanks for the info

yeah the Anheuser Busch stuff is just terrible!! and i never buy it, the Inbev stuff is just ok, i Like Leffe brown Abby ale from Belgium but thats all from Inbev so far that i can say i like, its a sad shame whem you have a quality brewrey go out of bussness and is taken over by a sewer water producing big bussiness, it seems like people are more concerned these days with quantity than quality and thats the sadest shame of all
the good stuff cost more this is true but to me its worth it, i dont drink to get drunk i love Beer!! and i want my beer to love me back the cheap crap makes me sick and you cant say you can enjoy something if its consistantly making you ill, and the American Adjunct beers like Budweiser,Miller, etc just kill me!!! :P

I LOVE SPATEN OPTAMATOR!!! it is a top favorite of mine and i am a german by decent my last name is STERNER
thanks your friend Joe

don't think you are going to get rich on beer steins Joe.... rare gold coins yes.... steins no. but steins do have great history in them. SP Gerz was just one of many stein producers a quick google should bring back some sites that show the 100's available.

the Americans still lease a portion of Spangdahlem Air Base(do a google), the Canadians used Lahrs until 1994, my brother-in-law was stationed there and brought this gem back for me, along with the groom-bride chalice(german wedding cup), which my wife and i drank from at our wedding.

my stein is from the S.P. Gerz Company, the art work is Heinz Sielmann, from his Grizzly artwork and my stein was number 558, handwritten on the bottom.

send me your images Joe, I'll gladly get ya started....make sure you get a image of the bottom too !. One thing about Gerz steins is that they were very prolific in those days. They can run between $5-$250+ and the market always is a rollercoaster ride with steins of all makes...even my Mettlachs that I have that were handed down and some auction ones.

My Family Fav... We had it since brand new, Moms grandfather gave it to my Dad and it's currently 110 years old. Looks brand new to this day cept some minor aging on the pewter portion. Cost one months pay back then.
Stuttgarter Hofbrau is what I was hooked on while in Germany for 1 1/2 years back in 79-80

gallery_7191_120_65041.jpg

gallery_7191_120_34315.jpg

Don't mean to Hijack yer post there but I'm a lil proud of that stein...LOL

:beer:  cheers !

OhioHeat, Ed G

Wow great thread guys very informative. My family was in restaurant business for many generations one had a fantastic beer selection and steins thru out the bar when my grandfather past I was given all the steins and draft handles must have over 100 of each guess it's time to catalog them.

Burning Colon said:
don't think you are going to get rich on beer steins Joe.... rare gold coins yes.... steins no. but steins do have great history in them. SP Gerz was just one of many stein producers a quick google should bring back some sites that show the 100's available.

the Americans still lease a portion of Spangdahlem Air Base(do a google), the Canadians used Lahrs until 1994, my brother-in-law was stationed there and brought this gem back for me, along with the groom-bride chalice(german wedding cup), which my wife and i drank from at our wedding.

my stein is from the S.P. Gerz Company, the art work is Heinz Sielmann, from his Grizzly artwork and my stein was number 558, handwritten on the bottom.

thanks for jumping in,i wasnt asking to get rich on them in fact i wont sell them there a part of me and foor that matter i dont have too much from my dad,he will be 80 very soon so im going to hold onto them if you know what i mean

your goingto make my dad very happy about the Spang Dolom Air base my dad has been curious what happened to it after he left

nice stiesns thanks your friend Joe
OhioHeat said:
send me your images Joe, I'll gladly get ya started....make sure you get a image of the bottom too !. One thing about Gerz steins is that they were very prolific in those days. They can run between $5-$250+ and the market always is a rollercoaster ride with steins of all makes...even my Mettlachs that I have that were handed down and some auction ones.

My Family Fav... We had it since brand new, Moms grandfather gave it to my Dad and it's currently 110 years old. Looks brand new to this day cept some minor aging on the pewter portion. Cost one months pay back then.
Stuttgarter Hofbrau is what I was hooked on while in Germany for 1 1/2 years back in 79-80

gallery_7191_120_65041.jpg

gallery_7191_120_34315.jpg

Don't mean to Hijack yer post there but I'm a lil proud of that stein...LOL

:beer:  cheers !

OhioHeat, Ed G
thanks very nice stiens im going to pm you about the pics

thanks your friend Joe

oldsalty said:
Wow great thread guys very informative. My family was in restaurant business for many generations one had a fantastic beer selection and steins thru out the bar when my grandfather past I was given all the steins and draft handles must have over 100 of each guess it's time to catalog them.
would love to see some of your wares be very interesting please post some pics

ajijoe's stein images
(need to work on that focusing thing Joe} ;)
Couldn't get a decent edit on the one bottom stein image so no pic for it.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2637]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2636]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2635]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2640]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2639]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2638]

Hope this helps Joe.

OhioHeat, Ed G.

Back