• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinated seedlings in jiffy pellets -> straight into ground?

Not sure if this question has been asked, but has anyone germinated seedlings in jiffy pellets and put them straight into the ground/pot when the cotyledon appears?

I've put 4 x Asian Birdseye which just popped their heads in my germination chamber and thought if I put them straight outside in the garden beds. No big loss if they die as I've got plenty more seeds to germinate, so will be interesting to see what happens with them. I just need to make they are watered each day because they are likely to dry out pretty quickly.

Well it's usually wise to wait until the seedling grows a sustainable root structure and its first set of leaves, but you can do that. the only real danger is "the elements". wind, sun etc.

Well it's usually wise to wait until the seedling grows a sustainable root structure and its first set of leaves, but you can do that. the only real danger is "the elements". wind, sun etc.

Yeah, I agree with that comment, and not expecting as good an outcome as all the indoor growing I'm doing.

But I was wondering, how much different is it to planting the seed directly into the soil? Do the leaves of a cotyledon suffer the same issues as true leaves and burning when it comes to being under artificial lights and then being moved into natural sunlight without being gradually exposed to it first?

We just had one of our warmest and driest Augusts on record, and the outlook is for continued higher than normal temperatures. I've got about 30 or so plants that survived the winter and are now sprouting new growth, so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Why not just pot'em up, carefully into 3 or 4" pots, that will give the roots a medium to grow into, you'll have the choice to move them to the shade or bring them indoors. Just be careful with jiffy or any other type of peat pellets, rock wool...etc. do not let them dry out, keep moist

Why not just pot'em up, carefully into 3 or 4" pots, that will give the roots a medium to grow into, you'll have the choice to move them to the shade or bring them indoors. Just be careful with jiffy or any other type of peat pellets, rock wool...etc. do not let them dry out, keep moist

I'm already doing that for all my other seedlings, this is purely an experiment to see how they go.

So far so good, they survived an overnight low of around 6C, and day time temps of 21C where they would of had around 6 hours of direct sunlight.

21c is not something to be scared of. :lol:
I don't put my little seedlings outside because it gets to 45c+ sometimes.

We won't see 40C+ until late Jan or Feb, and we don't get it very often.

Do you get humidity with your high temps? When we get that high, we'll also get < 10% humidity which is a real killer for my plants.

I live by the sea, so there's always great humidity. if I'm not mistaken, my city is the most humid part of the country. :lol:

best way to do this is with a humidity dome.

most effective

put 4-5 seeds in each pellet.

they will grow, some take longer then others to germinate.

Back