• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germinated some seeds in a cup but might be dampening off

Damping off is when a young plant topples over from an infection at the base of the stem.

You could test for a bacterial infection by mixing a 1/2 water 1/2 hydrogen peroxide solution and pouring a tiny bit in at the base of the stem. If it begins to fizz in that spot then there's a "chance" the plant was infected by something. There's also a chance that your concoction will have fixed it.

I've even salvaged damped off seedlings by bending the good part of the stem back into the soil and letting it root. It still takes in some nutrients from the original root, and the original scar tissue actually recovers and begins to grow thick again. I did this successfully to at least 7 or 8 seedlings this year, 3 different types of pepper, but it did set growth back a week or two. I sterilized the soil a few times during the regeneration process to make sure the bacteria didn't return. Once the plants get a little larger they are no longer affected by it.

The best fix is to avoid damping off altogether. You can do that by bottom watering and keeping the top of the soil dry. You can also top-water a couple of times using anti-bacterial teas brewed with garlic, chamomile tea, and even a lit bit of hydro-peroxide mixed in.

Back