• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating Bird Seed Peppers

Hey all,

This year I have began growing a Zimbabwe Bird Pepper and about three Tepins. However, they were difficult to germinate and I feel I got lucky with the ones I did get to go because I went through a lot of seeds. Since then, I have pulled seeds from my ripened Zimbabwe plant and tried germinating those without success. I figure they are either not good seeds, or I'm getting unlucky.

I did a search about varying techniques to get bird seeds started, and I've tried the standard approach for most peppers (soaking in Chamo tea, or water/peroxide). One I haven't tried, but sounds interesting is soaking your seeds in room temperature orange juice for a few hours. Supposedly, the acid in the O.J. is supposed to help break down the outer hull of the bird seed.

Has anyone tried this technique, or do you have a better method for germinating bird seeds....ummm, without making bird poop slurry's? :)

Thanks!

I purchased my Zimbabwe Bird and Birds' Eye Tepin from Peppergal.com . I also did a re-order and added the Salt Petre it gave me a very high success rate that time. The Tepin has been the hardest to keep happy. I have it in a 3 gal pot + and I will wait till its about root bound to up pot. I have tried Chamomile Tea with not much luck. I have not tried peroxide. I think most people here at least would swear off bleach. I have not heard about the OJ,however, I do believe Grape Fruit has been discussed. Good Luck... Dan

I usually get my seeds from pods people give me. The ones mail order ones i bought seem to have a low germination rate for me. I get my tepins, piquins, and similar type seeds and put them in a pot and water them everyday with the pot siting in full sun for like 8 hours a day. Come to think of it this has been the best method for me with all my chile seeds, take about 2 to 3 weeks to sprout. I'm in southern california though. I have so many piquin, and tepin seedlings i have no idea what I'm gonna do with all of them.

I purchased my Zimbabwe Bird and Birds' Eye Tepin from Peppergal.com . I also did a re-order and added the Salt Petre it gave me a very high success rate that time. The Tepin has been the hardest to keep happy. I have it in a 3 gal pot + and I will wait till its about root bound to up pot. I have tried Chamomile Tea with not much luck. I have not tried peroxide. I think most people here at least would swear off bleach. I have not heard about the OJ,however, I do believe Grape Fruit has been discussed. Good Luck... Dan

Hmmm. I haven't tried the bleach thing yet. Thanks Dan, appreciate the tip.

I usually get my seeds from pods people give me. The ones mail order ones i bought seem to have a low germination rate for me. I get my tepins, piquins, and similar type seeds and put them in a pot and water them everyday with the pot siting in full sun for like 8 hours a day. Come to think of it this has been the best method for me with all my chile seeds, take about 2 to 3 weeks to sprout. I'm in southern california though. I have so many piquin, and tepin seedlings i have no idea what I'm gonna do with all of them.

Tecolote, that is interesting. I would think that being on a heat mat in a dome would be similar. It get's the heat and moisture. Most of mine just end up sitting and sometimes get something growing ON them, or rotting. I've even tried taking the temp down between 82F to 85F.

Oh, I haven't tried scarification yet either. Has anyone tried that?

Way back when, I had lots of seed for pequin and put them in a small food processor. You just want to ruff em up ever so slightly by hitting the "pulse" button a time or two. That's all it takes. Just don't get carried away....pulse... pulse..STOP.

Worked great for me. About ten day germination. Planted a whole row up against a storage building in back yard. Mucho Pequins..:)

Hey all,

This year I have began growing a Zimbabwe Bird Pepper and about three Tepins. However, they were difficult to germinate and I feel I got lucky with the ones I did get to go because I went through a lot of seeds. Since then, I have pulled seeds from my ripened Zimbabwe plant and tried germinating those without success. I figure they are either not good seeds, or I'm getting unlucky.

I did a search about varying techniques to get bird seeds started, and I've tried the standard approach for most peppers (soaking in Chamo tea, or water/peroxide). One I haven't tried, but sounds interesting is soaking your seeds in room temperature orange juice for a few hours. Supposedly, the acid in the O.J. is supposed to help break down the outer hull of the bird seed.

Has anyone tried this technique, or do you have a better method for germinating bird seeds....ummm, without making bird poop slurry's? :)

Thanks!
Let me know if you need some more seeds i have some dried piquin pods from last season like the ones on my pic i might have some chiltepin also.

Way back when, I had lots of seed for pequin and put them in a small food processor. You just want to ruff em up ever so slightly by hitting the "pulse" button a time or two. That's all it takes. Just don't get carried away....pulse... pulse..STOP.

Worked great for me. About ten day germination. Planted a whole row up against a storage building in back yard. Mucho Pequins.. :)

Hmmm, and that doesn't destroy the seeds?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Thanks!
Let me know if you need some more seeds i have some dried piquin pods from last season like the ones on my pic i might have some chiltepin also.

Thank you very much appreciate it. I have a few seeds left for now. :) I've seeded the first couple peppers of my zimbabwe plant. However, I have not been able to get them started yet. How did you get yours started? Just the straightforward standard approach?

The best way for me was what is what i mentioned before. Just a pot with dirt left outside in the sun and watering it everyday, it's getting pretty warm here so i have to water everyday now. I have a window sill type container that i filled with jiffy seed starting mix that is doing really well for me, i have like 12 4 inch piquin plants in it now.

My housemate has parrots... I've been tempted to feed them some peppers for germination purposes. Really, I think it's mainly the warmth, moisture, and abrasive action of the gut that lead to better germination, so if you can duplicate these you shouldn't have any problems.

piquintray-1.jpg

here are some piquins

Streamer do you put water in or just seeds in the FP. Thanks for all the help. I've been growing dirt for 4-5 weeks. Tecolote peppers look nice now I know what mine should look like.

[sup]JUST SEEDS.... In a dry processor bowl. ! Water will make a nasty mess. You only want to knick em....not make flour out of em.... Use the pulse button....two seconds should do it. [/sup]

Would love one of those plants you got there Tecolote.... I got 8 seeds out germinating right now, so i'm really hoping they germinate....

A method I find that works great for all seeds is to do a pre-soak with a humic-acid mixture. I find it does wonders for problem seeds"Super long germination times". Most hydro store will carry a %12 mixture.
Trust me this method is worth trying for shure!
Gordon

Back