• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating Chile Pequin

My Brother in Law has 2 very nice plants, full of peppers.

Can't get any of the seeds too germinate, Any Tips or Tricks?? Thanks!!!

20210815_144523.jpg

Soak your seeds for 24 hours and an hour before soak in warm camomile tea and then plant.
This is Perfect for wilds and C.pubescens and hard shell seeds.
Choose a light soil/medium siv out to remove any large bits but seeds on the surface and siv soil on top to just cover the seeds.
If possible use a heated propagator/Mat where you can slowly increase the temp over a few days.
Most importantly be patient some seeds can be a few months before germination.

Last edited:
I bought dried Pequin chiles at the supermarket and planted the seeds by putting them in a pot with a potting mix and watering it, I kept it in a warm spot and had a lot of germination.

Seeds from green fruit, that has reached full size can often have a germination rate of over 60%, however the bird peppers like Pequin can be tricky to germinate fresh. This does not mean that the seeds from green fruit will not germinate, but it could be quite challenging. H2O2 and or potassium nitrate treatments are often used to coax Pequin and Tepin chile seeds into germination.

If you like the plant you are trying to grow seeds from you could consider trying to take cuttings instead.

Pequin are pretty easy from cuttings. Maybe the easiest I've succeeded with so far.
But beware! Taking cuttings and trying to propagate stuff from cuttings can be a really addictive past time.. Especially if you already like to prune things.

Back