seeds Germinating fresh seed

Just stick them in!  If it is a store bought pepper they are often infertile, or near infertile.  I'm growing a cherry bomb that took 50 or so seeds to get just a few sprouts.

Best way to do it! 75% of my peppers are grown from saved seed. Many years ago, I harvested green jalapeno seeds and had an abysmal germination rate. Took me a while to figure it out.

Just look for a nice, creamy white seed with a defined (plump, full) center section (the embryo).

You can, there's a good chance of germinating them. I even had seeds sprouting in the jalapeños when still on the plant (mature pods that were on the plant for 3 months due to cold european weather until they ripened after a late heatwave. Some jalapeños where filled with yellow sprouts.

Pfeffer said:
You can, there's a good chance of germinating them. I even had seeds sprouting in the jalapeños when still on the plant (mature pods that were on the plant for 3 months due to cold european weather until they ripened after a late heatwave. Some jalapeños where filled with yellow sprouts.
Mmmmm  Jalapeno surprise...

Pfeffer said:
Very interesting.. never seen that

Haha, because in San Diego you don't get 3 months of 60-65 F in the summer..  : -)  We had some very good weather in may/june.. but the boost came in September in that year. So I had mature pods on the plants but they just refused to ripen for 3 months. In late August it became 90F for a few days.. boosting the ripening instantly around early September.  I figure the seeds were already mature before the pods ripened. The hot weather just started the germination.

I tried a sprout, figured it was like Afalfa.. Tasted like crap though.

Back