• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating seeds from fresh pepper

A friend of mine just brought me Goat Peppers from the Islands. I have cut 3 of the peppers to save the seeds for later use, but I wanted to know if i could use fresh (non dried) seeds to grow a plant this year. I know it is late in the season for germinating but I am VERY excited about growing these peppers that I cannot wait until next year. Also, how do you germinate using paper towels and zip lock bag? I have never done it using this method before. I only have used the Peat Pods to germinate my seeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there,
First - its still not to late on the season to germinate peppers, buy you most do that fast using some accessories as lights.

Second - If you willing to germinate on towel pepper its goes very simple! get the towel and fold it to halfs until it will fit the bags. than add some warm water, about 26-30 degree (C), than open one of the quarter and put the seeds inside, about 4-8 seeds. keep them saprate from each other. put the towel in the bag with some air inside and close the bag, put it on some warm place. (Computer tower, Cable reciver, DVD or some), they will start to germinate in about week or so.
when opening the towel - do it slowly and carefully because the seedling are VERY fregile! take them out and put them in your moist and warm soil.

Now its time to use some lights,
Beacuse you about to grow 1 kind of chille, about 2-4 plants, its cheapest to use CFL light, about 4 x 25W 6500K lights will do the job, 18H a day.

I'm sure you will harvest your peppers within 90-120 days. somewhere between Aug - Sep

Good luck!

As stated fresh "ripe" pods work fine right out of the pod.
In the winter here in Chicago our produce markets receive chili's from South America and Mexico. The peppers are picked slightly under ripe. The seeds are immature and can be difficult to germinate.
But if your Goat's are island ripened, then you scored a good deal!
Are the "Goat" peppers the bonnet shaped or the "bird chili" variety?

Greg

Bonnet shaped. I have never had them before but heard alot about them. I know they are equivalent in heat to a Choco Hab and i have had many of those so i know that it will pack a punch. Also, thanks for the info on how to germinate using paper towels and ziplock bags. I will do this today to hurry them out. I would love to get some this season to eat. I have such a wide range of pepper as it is so this will definately add to it. Have any of you all ever had a Goat Pepper?

Simple Answer: Yes you can germinate them. It worked for me with store bought peppers, imported from Mexico, so I'm sure your fresh Goat Peppers will work fine.

i have done it a few times and noticed that germination time seems a bit faster and it kinda makes sence, the seed is fresh and moist and the embryo doesnt have to work as hard

thanks Joe

Sometimes with tepin-like peppers I'll just cut the peppers in half and put the whole thing in the ground. Every seed in there germinates, just have to thin them out later.

If you notice around any pepper plant you usually get baby pepper plants, this is from seeds from fresh pods that dropped off the plant.........it works.

Back