• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating Seeds

First attempt at germinating super hots. What is the best way to germinate seeds? Zip lock bag with moist (not soaking) paper towel? Or jiffy pots with seed starter soil? Any suggestions are gladly welcomed. I have a heat mat with a dome that has vents and a 400w Metal Halide/High Pressure Sodium fixture to get them through the winter. Just looking to get a good head start on next season. Thanks again this site is really helpful and everyone here is willing to help

A medium that is slightly acidic (or pH neutral and then slightly acidified), holds water and does not promote rot or algae (contains no nutrients). constant ~28c temperature. constant moisture (medium must not be wet!). no need for light until actual germination.

I had GREAT success using jiffy peat pellets... I bought one of the jiffy heated seed propagators put the peat pellets in it and left it alone... almost 100% germination...

The best method is the one that you like the most, there is no single universal "best" method. There are many different ways to germinate seeds that are effective. Just comes down to personal preference.

I use seed starting mix in domed mini greenhouses. I prefer to use my light for heat rather than heating mats, and vary the temperatures (~85F while the light is one, and then dropping down to ~70F when it's off). Varying temperatures seems to be preferable to one constant temperature according to some studies I've seen, and my own experience.

Im no pro but i have been trying all the diffrent ways the pros have talked about on this forum, and i have got germination down to about 80% germ rate
, i found the best way seems to be jiffy pellets preheated on the heat pad then drop the seeds in and keep at around 30 deg , i just got my fatali and bhuts to germinate
in six days , it took 8 days to germinate the same strains but with presoaking the seeds and not preheating the jiffys.
maybe by preheating the jiffy pellets was a fluke that they were up in 6 days , im going to try it again to see if i get the same results.

My Fatali came up on Day 6 as well with heat applied from the bottom and my purple Serrano on day 5. I find that with a heat source they come up more uniformly instead of staggered over time. As said above there are many ways it is just about finding the way that works best for you.

Back