• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating Stubborn Seeds

I just wanted to share my experiance about how to germinate stubborn seeds. I recently purchased some(very crispy)dried Naga Morich whole peppers on ebay, the seller said the seed would not be viable because of the high temps during the drying process in the oven. Not sure why the seller didn't use a different better method.. Anyways. I decided since I didn't have any good seeds to grow I would attempt to germinate these seeds anyhow, not being very serious about it because the outcome of sucess was low. First I decided to use my GA3 (gibberellic acid)to possibly sprout these little hopeless seeds.. (BTW GA3 90% works great if mixed correctly for the germination of any seeds) 3 seeds out of 20 germinated in 3 days under normal room temp with a mixture of GA3/Distilled H20 @ 50ppm. Not bad in my opinion. The rest I figure are duds. The next method I used for 20 more "non viable seeds" was: I placed a thick folded papertowel into a plastic microwave type bowl and semi-soaked the the papertowel just enough to make it a little more than just damp but not exactly wet. I placed the 20 seeds on the papertowel placed the lid on lightly (not snapped closed) and put it at the top of my dehydrator without the lid on the dehydrator. I tested the temp after about 10 minutes to be sure I wasn't cooking the seeds. The temp stayed at a steady 94F degrees and ofcourse the bowl was condensing on the inside which I think is good. Kinda makes it tropical with the heat & humidity levels. After 3 days.. 2 seeds germinated. I'll leave the seeds on there a few more days to see if any others decide to sprout. I know the seeds that did germinate will probably have problems as plants but I'm going to give them a try. I have some viable seeds on the way thanks to some fellow members here that were kind enough to share with me. Thanks! I hope this may help someone with stubborn seeds or just another way to germinate the seeds faster. If anyone has any input or suggestions I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading!

shoVel

I just wanted to share my experiance about how to germinate stubborn seeds. I recently purchased some(very crispy)dried Naga Morich whole peppers on ebay, the seller said the seed would not be viable because of the high temps during the drying process in the oven. Not sure why the seller didn't use a different better method.. Anyways. I decided since I didn't have any good seeds to grow I would attempt to germinate these seeds anyhow, not being very serious about it because the outcome of sucess was low. First I decided to use my GA3 (gibberellic acid)to possibly sprout these little hopeless seeds.. (BTW GA3 90% works great if mixed correctly for the germination of any seeds) 3 seeds out of 20 germinated in 3 days under normal room temp with a mixture of GA3/Distilled H20 @ 50ppm. Not bad in my opinion. The rest I figure are duds. The next method I used for 20 more "non viable seeds" was: I placed a thick folded papertowel into a plastic microwave type bowl and semi-soaked the the papertowel just enough to make it a little more than just damp but not exactly wet. I placed the 20 seeds on the papertowel placed the lid on lightly (not snapped closed) and put it at the top of my dehydrator without the lid on the dehydrator. I tested the temp after about 10 minutes to be sure I wasn't cooking the seeds. The temp stayed at a steady 94F degrees and ofcourse the bowl was condensing on the inside which I think is good. Kinda makes it tropical with the heat & humidity levels. After 3 days.. 2 seeds germinated. I'll leave the seeds on there a few more days to see if any others decide to sprout. I know the seeds that did germinate will probably have problems as plants but I'm going to give them a try. I have some viable seeds on the way thanks to some fellow members here that were kind enough to share with me. Thanks! I hope this may help someone with stubborn seeds or just another way to germinate the seeds faster. If anyone has any input or suggestions I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading!

shoVel

Very interesting; nice one.

I need to try some of that GA3. The LSD batch did not work out well. lol wow, 3 days, that is fast. Normally I presoak in the incubators at 85 degrees for one day, then place each seed in its container until it is germd. I will have to google GA3 now. hmm

Back