• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germination battle: baggies vs mini green houses

:shocked:Im getting alot of sprouting just after four days from white habs, bhuts, and scorpions from the jiffys but getting nothing from the baggies/coffee filters after two weeks! any comments or advice?

I've had 95% germination rates from coir plugs in mini green houses and 0% from coffee filters in bags, jars and seeds in 3 different types of potting soil. I got 100% from 10 orange Habaneros and 9 out of 10 of a Costa Rica (seeds from the fruit; my Avatar).
Absolutely sold on coir plugs. :)

I've never had a problem with the paper towel method in over 30 years. I use this method especially for stubborn seeds or seeds known to have lower germination rates. Its also good when potting to cells or pots to have 100% germinated to use all available space.
I'm not a big fan of jiffys for peppers anymore. They have poor moisture/water holding capacity(too wet or too dry), they are not pH balanced, and the netting gives roots a hard time if not removed

^ I find it fascinating, the divergence/difference of experiential results. In the states (45deg. N' latitude) I could do no wrong (well, rarely screwed up) but here in Thailand all bet's are off! Really, it's remarkable. I do not know of anyone here "presently" growing Capsicum chinense successfully; including myself (I've gotten a harvest) but I'm not failing either. Anyway, as I said above, coir is the only thing that's worked for me.
Many challenges ahead and I'm up for them; I will figure this out. Cheers. :)

AjarnV, please chalk this up to Thailand AND Malaysia.

I've only ever gotten a harvest of orange habs and all my chinenses are doing poorly currently. I blame the heat wave.

kiddc said:

I've only ever gotten a harvest of orange habs and all my chinenses are doing poorly currently. I blame the heat wave.

You too (heat wave)? 40 straight days here of mostly 37c with a 38 & 39 thrown in for good measure. I've definitely got soil issues here, but I'm figuring it out. But I do agree, heat is an issue as well. Hottest weather in my 7+ years here. Cheers.

kiddc said:

This is very interesting. I would have thought that the Chinense, since they mostly originate from hot and tropical climates, would absolutely thrive in places like Thailand and Malaysia. Apparently tropical Caribbean is very different from tropical Asia. If you have sourced your seeds from the U.S. then perhaps it could be that they have mutated to become more acclimated to the climates of the U.S.? Hmm...

roadhouse said:
This is very interesting. I would have thought that the Chinense, since they mostly originate from hot and tropical climates, would absolutely thrive in places like Thailand and Malaysia. Apparently tropical Caribbean is very different from tropical Asia. If you have sourced your seeds from the U.S. then perhaps it could be that they have mutated to become more acclimated to the climates of the U.S.? Hmm...

That was my thinking also. I'm at 13deg. N latitude and Costa Rica is at 10 - 12 N. latitude, but the difference is, Costa Rica has mountains and a fairly diverse temperature range. Where I live in Thailand is the central plain which on average is hotter than many areas of Costa Rica.
That said, my plant is a Costa Rica red Habanero and is tolerating the heat and still producing fruit BUT; the leaves are deformed and severely curled. Until 4 weeks ago a friend and I had only gotten this one plant out of about 100 seeds we attempted to germinate.
Now it's no problem with the coir plugs/pellets. Soil here in my area is lacking many nutrients (I've researched it extensively). Anyway, making progress little by little. My avatar is my first fruit. Cheers.

Yeah, that was my guess too,that the seeds have acclimatized to US or Aussie weather

(in an attempt to save a thread i've potentially de-railed)

I've used jiffy's and paper towel. IMHO , i like the paper towel method im using as it saves space and germinated hard to germ seeds, but it probably adds a week more as the germinated seeds need to re-aligned itself to growth upright once i transplant them into a seedling pot.

I am not sure why I am having so much trouble with the coffee filters/baggies. It frustrating trying to figure out what im doing wrong with this method.

HOH_Virus said:
I am not sure why I am having so much trouble with the coffee filters/baggies. It frustrating trying to figure out what im doing wrong with this method.

How wet or damp are you keeping them? For me using paper towels, I make sure they are damp or moist but not wet. Like if I took the paper towel that has the seeds and placed it on another dry towel, the moisture should not seep into the dry towel unless I press down....but on its own weight, nothing should happen. Also I dont fold the paper towel too many times. I fold it twice. Once in half and once in half again.

Back