• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds germination help and general growing questions

This is my  first year growing super hot peppers. I have 16 species right now. All from forum giveaways! Thank you all! I'm getting some milder ones soon as well. Probably just some jalapeno and habs.

Last night I sowed 6 of each in divided trays with a local soil that has peat humus and soil iirc. I chose this mix based on the reading I did on this forum and others and the recommendation of staff where I bought it.

What I'm posting about is first: germination time. What is the best way to ensure rapid germination and overall success on these plants? I'm concerned about the long germination times and how that plays into keeping the media healthy without causing seed rot or damping off.

The second reason I'm posting is that I saw reference to a few methods to increase overall success in germination through what I'm assuming are various control methods. I was hoping someone could explain this to me or point me to the forum post that discusses this.

As always, tips suggestions and constructive criticism are appreciated. Thanks thp. Hopefully I can share some seeds back to you later this year!

Seeds sown:

7 Pot brain strain red
7 pot yellow
Bahamian goat
Bhut jolokia chococlate
Birds eye
Bonda Ma Jacques
Carolina Reaper
C. Frutescens (labeled c. Frutiscium)
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Congo Trinidad Giant Yellow
Habanero Anitllais Caribbean
Moruga red
Moruga Yellow
Murupi
Red bubblegum
SB7J

Soaking seeds seems to help with germ time as well as reducing helmet heads.
Best way to ensure germ is moisture and warmth.
Most of mine germ in 1-2 weeks. After 2 weeks I throw them away and get new seeds.

I like to use the paper towel method.  I don't pre soak like many here, just put them in wet but not soaked paper towel and then into a ziploc bag.  I try tp keep them at about 85 - 90 up to maybe 95 max degrees.  I check to see when they start to sprout then put them in the soil, which I also have on heat pad.  Usually they start to sprout in as little as 3 or 4 days, for some others up to 2 weeks.  Like jaunitos said though, after about 2 weeks, time to try again with new seeds.  I hope the ones you got from me do well for you.  I did a quick test before I gave them all away on top of fridge with the paper towel method and had 11 out of 12 sprout in 6 days.  The last might have as well, but just tossed them as it was too early and they were just random samples of the lot.

I germinate mine in coco coir pellets. I keep them around 82 degrees on a heating mat. I also use a dome with the vents open a little bit. Most of my seeds germinate within the one and a half to two and a half weeks mark. I usually don't give up on them until after 30 days or more.

Thanks for the replies! I have domes over the flats and it's looking pretty wet. All the heat from the mat causing condensation. Hopefully not too wet. 

jcw10tc- I like your grow list! That is an insane variety or peppers. I had to hold back on planting every seed I was given because of space as they get potted up. I sure would love to grow them all though. I might give a few to the horticulture program I graduated from. They have plant sales a few times a year. All the fresh pods to come are going to be a process in itself. Yum!

Get a zip lock bag and a piece of paper towel

Fold the paper towel in half and spread your seeds on it

Put the paper towel in the zip-lock bag and wet it.....wet, not soppy. Close the bag and put it where the temp is 85F (measure, don't guess). Wait.....

willard3 said:
Get a zip lock bag and a piece of paper towel

Fold the paper towel in half and spread your seeds on it

Put the paper towel in the zip-lock bag and wet it.....wet, not soppy. Close the bag and put it where the temp is 85F (measure, don't guess). Wait.....

Beautiful

I've used the same process for about 4 years now. I take all the seeds I'm plating and put them in individual cups filled with warm water. I let them soak while I prepare everything else. It usually ends up being around an hour. You'll hear everything from I don't soak my seeds, to I soak them for 48 hours. Find what works best for you and use it. Next I take my medium and put it in a large bowl. I slowly spray warm water in it while I agitate it with my other hand. The goal is to get all the soil evenly moist. Once that is accomplished, I get my trays ready and fill each cell with the same amount of dirt. I take the cups one by one and plant into each cell marking the species as I go. Plant them about a 1/4" deep.  Next I wet each cell a little. Not too much. I use the sprayer attachment on my kitchen sink. I have a Hydrofarm heat mat and digital thermostat I bought about 4 years ago. Once all seeds are planted, I put the dome on top and place it on the heat mat. I set the thermostat to 86 degrees. About 85 is best, so that allows for a degree or two of fluctuation. You'll notice a lot of condensation on top of the dome. This is completely normal. I also put a towel over the dome just to insulate it. You'll usually have your first seeds to sprout around the 6 day mark. I'll let them go for around 3 weeks before I get too concerned. The key is constant temperature and humidity. Good Luck!

Tim

This is my first year starting seeds indoors. I used the Jiffy pellet trays placed on a seed warming mat, inside of a $20 4 shelf greenhouse from Tractor Supply with a small space heater in the bottom. I was expecting them to take awhile to germinate based on my experience in an outdoor greenhouse last year. In less than a week I had sprouts. Now I have 2 shelves full of tomatoes and peppers and its just now February.

Hey Sporehead

Soiless mix is safer option for sowing seeds into seedlings indoors. Keeping warm and keeping  moist is critical. You may have damping off issues along with insects using soil. Any stepping up (transplanting into larger containers) done indoors I still use soiless mix. Once the plants are outdoors introducing soil/soiless mix is the time to use soil

Pre soaking pepper seeds overnight never hurts anything.

Unlike a lot of growers here, I like to sow 6-12 of like variety in a 4" square or round plastic pot and put a baggy over the top for moisture control.  Saves tons of space and they seem to like the closeness. Also its handy when one variety germinates quicker that another. Onto a heat mat and after 2-3 days, I turn my lights on. If they're in the dark when they spout you risk a very weak spindly seedling if there's no light. Once most are up, I take them off the heat keep em watered and under lights until they have one or two sest of true leaves. Then I transplant into individual containers. If you wait to long  the roots will tangle.

Below is a photo of Reapers sowed in a single pot before stepping up.

Back