• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination Patterns

On Feb 19 I put 2 Scorpian seeds into 6 jiffy pellets each in a covered dome on heat mat at apprx 85 degrees. On Feb 28 all popped up so 9 days.

On Feb 26 I put 3 jiffy pellets with Bt Scorpian seeds 2 each and 3 pellets with Fatali 2 per pellet as well. Same dome, same heat mat same everything.

Is there any data that would suggest these will pop this Tuesday (9) days again or is there no predictable data to support this ?

I have noticed it all depends on the type of pepper seed, and the source of the seed if everything else is pretty constant... the red brain strains I got from Baker's Peppers semi consistently popped up in 7 days, and the T-scorps I got from him, 1 would usually pop up in 4 days, and 2-3 others the next few days... so I don't know about the Fatalii's but the scorps, as long as the seeds are from the same place and everything else is the same, you can probably expect pretty similar results

( I had to do this because the first set I planted got fried when I let them dry out from going away for the weekend, and when I replanted all those seeds I lost, I had pretty similar results.. although the temps were a tad lower in some of the areas because I had to turn off some of the lights in there.. so I expect the outer areas of the tray will pop up later than they did before.. but they were pretty right on with the first time around)

Nine days is actually the average germination time I found on 16 C. Chinense varieties I tested. The Fatalii was the fastest at just 3 days, the longest was the Bhut Jolokia Red at 22 days. Trini Scorp Reds were 8 days. These are cup germinating times, using the fastest seed within a group, and several variables, so take it with a grain of salt!

Interesting, 9 days for my own 3yr old seeds, and TBD on others I bought from The HSC, and Serrano's from store bought pods last year.
Plus another 8 assorted, Bhut, 7pod, orange Hav, and a scorp/7pod mix.

So 9 days can be average but 30 can also be the norm.

It also depends on the media used to germinate them. From my experience, grow plugs like Rapid Rooters shave off about 5 days off their germination time compared to soil.

There is no predicting with any accuracy just how long it's going to take for a seed to germinate. You can compare them to anything and everything you can but you're not going to gain any insight.

hey zapper, we must think alike. on feb 26 i sowed 2 butchT, 2 reg red scorps and 2 douglah. heated mat(mini greenhouse) none have popped yet. as an experiment, i put 1 seed each into jiffy and 1 each into coir pellets. last year, i had 100% germination on these seeds.

i have a bunch of other varieties that have germinated just fine in about 1 weeks duration - except white habs, having a real challenge getting them to germinate and when they do, keeping them alive.

good luck

Just got home a 1 BTScorp from the Feb 26th planting has poked its head up witch is 8 days.
Can't wait to see what happens in the next 24hrs !

Back