• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination question

I finally got the grow shelf put up today. I will be starting the super hots in a 72 cell via peat pellets(yes using peat pellets). I attached the lights( two 40 watt fluro 4 footers) and put the dome on over the cells and dropped a temperature gauge inside. This was just a dry run, the cells were empty. Within 45 minutes the temp reached 96.5(F). The outside room temp was 76. I then shut off the lights and put a heat mat under the cell tray and put the dome back on. The temp stayed right around 85 degrees. Should I just germinate with the heat matt under the cells and without the lights? Then once I start seeing sprouts, remove the lid and put them under the lights? I saw a member say once that in his experience once you remove the lid, the seeds that have not come up do not have much of a chance. So I was also curious about that statement and would like some experienced growers feedback on rather this is the case or not. I wanted to start under the lights and then once I saw some sprouts, lift the dome a little until more seeds sprouted, then completely remove the dome once I had a good stand of sprouts. However, doing it this way will mean germinating at over 96 degrees and that just seems to hot. Advice? Thanks.

as they sprout, remove the peat pellets from under the dome and put them under lights seperately. Keep the unsprouted ones under the dome to retain humidity. Definitely keep the heat at your 85 degrees, i would avoid the high 90's. I kept mine under 85 (more like high 70's (25C) for the most part and all my super hots germinated very quickly). I would use the heat mat as it seems to be giving you what you need and forget the lights until they sprout.

seeds will still germinate without the lid on, but it will take longer and I've had less success doing it that way. Retaining humidity and moisture is key.

Hope that helped answer some of your concerns. Sounds like you have a decent set up, you should be good to go!

Removing the lid is not a death sentence for the unsprouted seeds, but you have to keep an eye on the moisture better and make sure they do not dry out. Last year, I had seeds sprout 2 weeks after the lid came off. I also would use the heat mat. 85F is what I try to maintain as well. Germination rates drop when the temp gets into the high 90's.

Ballzworth had a good idea about removing the ones that have sprouted to another tray under the lights. I would add that that temp is still pretty high for just sprouted seedlings. You could a fan there to move the air around and bring the temp down. You just want enough air to slightly sway the plants. This will also help to create a stronger stem. Of course, then again, it is a mni greenhouse with the lid on and you probably won't reach those temps with the lid off. I have my light set up in the garage where it is quite cooler than 76, so I never see temps in the 90's durind the winter.:lol:

Good Luck!
jacob

Back