• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germination time

Sorry about all the newby questions. I planted thai seeds on Feb 21 and some habenero seeds on the 23rd. I have one grow bulb and am keeping the soil moist. Has it been to long? Are they toast? Not so concerned with these, but Smiley is sending me some awesome seeds and it would suck if I did this wrong.
10005867_10201563977529869_1914849818_o_zps7cda5108.jpg

Thai seeds in the egg thinga habs in the cups.

Thanks,

Rymerpt

i sucked at growing from seed til i bought a germination kit and seed starting soil then got into those grow plugs...  

maybe u can put a dome or cover on those to keep em moist and humid.

The soil looks pretty dried to me.
I never used fancy things like growing kits, voodoo potions, or whatever, and works for me, habanero and thai too.

Yeah they look dry. I've always found seeds to be the opposite of plants in that you're better keeping them totally wet than letting them dry out. If some people on here saw the swampy conditions I sometimes germinate in I bet they would probably scold me - but it seems to work!  

I suspect you might be right about them being toast - my habs planted on 28 feb are up with leaves, as are my thai super which I'm not sure how close they are to your rather vague "thai chilli". 

I always use a dome/plastic cover thing too btw. And I keep temp to about 26C+ too, which is possibly why I can get away with swampy soil.

Also you could try the paper towel germination method if you prefer it? 

You can always use tupperware containers to keep in moisture.  Or put a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the little cups until they germ.  The Thai seeds should be up by now, Habaneros can typically take up to 4 weeks, I've had chinenses germ and spread wings in 6 days so you never know...I'd start over personally though.  Dry is bad for seeds...remember moist not wet.  If you encounter mold try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide.

Ok gonna toss the thai seeds. I have six bought thai seedlings growing anyway. When I get my super hot seeds I'll solo cup and cover with plastic wrap.

Thanks,

Rymerpt

Yes patience is a virtue for certain! Some of mine are still comming up that i planted on jan 24..So Don't give up.. I use the peat pellets usually and put them inside of some kind of dome or continer with a lid to keep in moisture. Temps are aa big concern too.. Set them Somewhere warm like the top of a fridge or in a cabinet with a light if you don't have a heat mat... Also I'll throw in a few extra for the ones you pitched.

Edit: btw solo cups work great w saran wrap and a rubber band.. or you could use a cake tray and lid from kroger.. They might just give you one like they did me.

smileyguy697 said:
Yes patience is a virtue for certain! Some of mine are still comming up that i planted on jan 24..So Don't give up.. I use the peat pellets usually and put them inside of some kind of dome or continer with a lid to keep in moisture. Temps are aa big concern too.. Set them Somewhere warm like the top of a fridge or in a cabinet with a light if you don't have a heat mat... Also I'll throw in a few extra for the ones you pitched.
Edit: btw solo cups work great w saran wrap and a rubber band.. or you could use a cake tray and lid from kroger.. They might just give you one like they did me.
Great idea! We have a big cake tupperwhere thinggy that would be perfect.

Rymerpt

For what it's worth ... I have seeds that are at least 10 years old that have a decent germination rate. Albeit long, 30+ days, when they sprout, I get a lot of sprouts.

I had a batch that have been in coffee filter/plastic bag for almost 40 days. Just tonight I found two sprouted seeds. Some of the others from the same filter/bag germinated three weeks ago.

Go figure.

Back