• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Get them to grow bigger?

Hi, some of my plants are starting to produce fruit. But as i understand the plant is small (short) since i have used small pots. When i changed to bigger (a litle bigger) pots i didnt do anything with the roots, should i have un bounded them in any way? I wil get 3-5gallon pots later. Would the plants start to grow or do i have to remove the flowers and fruit to get them to grow? Or should i just let they produce fruit and be happy with that? i'm in Norway so the summer isnt very long or hot. This plant is 10-12" high and maybe 8" in width and have 9-10 fruits and lots of flowers on it. Should i remove some flowers?

2014-05-26_13-08-50.png

I would say that ideally to get them to grow bigger a larger pot would definitely help.  If the plant doesn't want to keep its fruits and flowers it will likely drop them under the stress of transplanting.  If they are root bound it's a different story altogether.  Peppers grow, bloom, and fruit simultaneously, but won't grow much larger if you only keep them in small pots.

I'm curious to know if this is sometimes a strategy used for places with a shorter growing season?  I mean, if you put your peppers in a huge pot...won't a lot of the energy go into making the plant bigger before it starts to push out pods, or does it push pods while getting taller at the same time?

I guess what I'm wondering about is if the pots I have will force the peppers to start producing pods quicker, if they push roots as far as they go and hit the limits of the pot

(Does any of this make sense?)

Back