• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Getting pollenation going on other peppers

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
Seems like the peppers I got which weren't Butch T's like I hope pollenated without any trouble. My Bhut's on the other hand are having all sorts of trouble getting pollenated. I have tons of flowers, and have tried everything suggested here (shaking the plants ever so gently, taking Q-Tips, artist brishes, my finger, etc.) to the plants with no success and the flowers have been around for the better part of a month. Being that I've got the plants indoors (both the ones that are producing peppers and the Bhuts), and that my apartment manager frowns upon having any kind of plants outside (nor do I blame himas the kids there tend to knock anything and everything in their path with impunity), is there any other way to get the flowers to pollenate?

Talk dirty to them!

Also, I get out my pepper vibrator (electric toothbrush) and give them pleasure. Please, before anyone else poo-poo's my toothbrush method, I already understand it is not necessary and I don't care, its fast and it works so shut it! :P

Your bhuts might not be producing any pollen, if there is no pollen then it doesn't matter what method you use for hand pollination it is not going to work. Find something that is black and has a smooth surface, place it under the flower then tap the flower at the top. If you do not see any pollen fall onto the black material then you have sterile flowers.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tonight

They likely are not producing pollen. If they are then you just need a fan or better air circulation. I think chiles pollinate best in the afternoon but I can't remember exact times

They likely are not producing pollen. If they are then you just need a fan or better air circulation. I think chiles pollinate best in the afternoon but I can't remember exact times

If I remember correctly it is around noon that chilis are supposedly best pollinated. I personally do not see much difference in pollen levels but then again I do not have any kind of accurate measurements to go by. I just use my eyes to judge.

First you slap your appartment manager in the face and tell him that you are GOING to put your plants outside and he WILL like it!! Then you set bear traps outside for the little kids so they know not to come near your plants, and if they do........well, you get the picture. :hell: Of course I am only kidding! Hope all goes well with pollination. Let me know what you find out too, because I am doing a Hydro project this winter with plants indoors as well.

If I remember correctly it is around noon that chilis are supposedly best pollinated. I personally do not see much difference in pollen levels but then again I do not have any kind of accurate measurements to go by. I just use my eyes to judge.

Ya, apparently pollen ripens each day between 12 midday and 3 pm

I'll definitely let you know! :)

Back