seeds Getting ready to transplant seedlings from 6 packs to Solo Cups...

My seedlings are in the little plastic 6-pack containers.  Its getting to the point that they need to be watered every day or every other day (not all are in synch, so kind of a PITA).  Plus I'm starting to see some roots coming out the holes in the bottom of the 6-pack containers so I'm thinking of transplanting to 16oz solo cups this weekend. 

The seedlings are still pretty small, most are just starting to show their first set of true leaves.  I'm planning on using Fox Farm Ocean Forest for my potting soil, but am wondering if it will be too hot for the seedlings at this stage?  I am going to cut it with perlite at a ratio of 5:1, but I'm wondering if I should cut it with some seedling mix or less nutrient rich potting soil too?  Suggestions?

BB

I just transplanted around 40 plants into solo cups/4" planters and used epsoma organic potting soil and it worked out fine, have no burn issues or problems. plants are starting to take off! Sadly, Ive learned that starting in the solo cups next year will be better. I started some seeds 2 weeks after first set and was in solo cups. they outgrew the older ones pretty fast and thats when i transplanted lol.

OF might be a little hot for seedlings.  Do you have access to Happy Frog?  It is a fair bit gentler on the young ones.  I potted my plants from the 72 cell inserts into 1 quart root pouches about 1.5 months ago.  They are still in there and all but 3 plants (Orchid/Bishop Hats) show no sign of needing any nutrient supplementation.  They are all growing very well in it.

compmodder26 said:
OF might be a little hot for seedlings.  Do you have access to Happy Frog?  It is a fair bit gentler on the young ones.  I potted my plants from the 72 cell inserts into 1 quart root pouches about 1.5 months ago.  They are still in there and all but 3 plants (Orchid/Bishop Hats) show no sign of needing any nutrient supplementation.  They are all growing very well in it.
Yes, I do have access to Happy Frog and was actually thinking along the same lines.  Do you recommend cutting the Happy Frog with additional perlite?

Also, I have more seedlings than I need, so I was also thinking of doing a few in OF as a test. 

BB

I did not add perlite to it and I have not seen any issues with too much water retention.

I bought some perlite and was planning on cutting the Happy Frog about 5:1, but once I opened the Happy Frog I saw that there was plenty already mixed in, this stuff is truly ready to go right out of the bag! Transplant went well, will post picks soon.

BB

Back