• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Getting rid of fire ants

Hello all,

Looking for ways to get rid of fire ants in my raised bed. I've used diatomaceous earth and all it does is move the little buggers to a different section. I've also got mulch down, which hides where they move to until I pull up a weed in their area and suddenly all hell breaks loose. I've looked at fire ant killers but it seems that everything says not to use in food gardens.

Suggestions?

I dont want to be the bummer. You will probably need to bring in heavy insecticides for this problem if its true fire ants. You already know that the different methods only move them to a different area. You need to find the hive and nuke it. Im sorry I cant tell you how to do that.

I dont want to be the bummer. You will probably need to bring in heavy insecticides for this problem if its true fire ants. You already know that the different methods only move them to a different area. You need to find the hive and nuke it. Im sorry I cant tell you how to do that.
The bummer would be to have to use toxins you may not need on your food garden.

Worth a try.

Hello all,

Looking for ways to get rid of fire ants in my raised bed. I've used diatomaceous earth and all it does is move the little buggers to a different section. I've also got mulch down, which hides where they move to until I pull up a weed in their area and suddenly all hell breaks loose. I've looked at fire ant killers but it seems that everything says not to use in food gardens.

Suggestions?You can pour boiling water on the nest if you find it. Did that a few years back and haven’t had an issue in the garden since.

I still like Dursban TC for nuking those miserable bastards. Anywhere around the garden or where our critters go, I shove the wand downhole as far as it will go before pulling the trigger. That's where you have to go to get the queen anyway.

I think TC is long gone. I have a lifetime supply from 30 years ago but there are still some 40-45% chlorpyrifos products available.

Right around the house I use a rose duster with diatomaceous earth. It's not as quick or dramatic but it works.

Back