artwork Getting started 101

I've been making and bottling my own hot sauce in small batches for friends and personal use for 3 years now in glass Evian water bottles(which looks cool, b/c the mountain emboss in the glass looks likes flames when the bottle is full of red/orange liquid).

ANYWAYS....I've always wanted to sell retail, legally....I understand I would need to find a place where I could make in larger batches and have pro bottled/labeled, but that's not my first concern...

Do I need FDA approval, regular local business license or something else, any quick 101's on WHERE TO START?

You can give your stuff away with no real problems however if you want to make coin you have to have all sorts of get up. Including a willingness to be very patient.

Form an LLC, get a food industry lawyer, get lots of product and personal liability insurance, find an FDA-approved commercial kitchen or contract with a co-packer.

Sleep 2 hours a day, wake up, hit the road looking for more prospects, repeat.

DEFCON Creator said:
Form an LLC, get a food industry lawyer, get lots of product and personal liability insurance, find an FDA-approved commercial kitchen or contract with a co-packer.

Sleep 2 hours a day, wake up, hit the road looking for more prospects, repeat.

I see lots of posts from you DC on threads about lots of liability insurance and legal fees - do you have any horror stories to share?

-"Jake"

jakealbert said:
I see lots of posts from you DC on threads about lots of liability insurance and legal fees - do you have any horror stories to share?

-"Jake"

Nope, but living in New Jersey, the land of frivilous law suits, we learn to cover our asses to the hilt from day one.

The posts I've made that you are referring to are for informational purposes. Many people ask how to start. Well, if you are creating stuff people are going to ingest, you better prepare for anything. I personally know of some smaller companies that no longer exist because of this. Perception is no longer reality when served a suit.

If you aren't concerned with liability (personal or product), don't take the insurance, your choice.

jakealbert said:

-"Jake"
The insurance protects you from the horror stories ;) Keep in mind most distributors won't pick your product up without it.

Back